Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Q for Sys admins: Blocking P2P - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q for Sys admins: Blocking P2P

Good Guru

Re:Q for Sys admins: Blocking P2P

But if you run a proxy, it can filter by filename. So all *.exe and *.mp3 *.vbs can be filtered. A firewall runs at a different tcp osi level than a proxy does. Hence allowing more detailed (in some cases less too ..) abilities.

anyways like i said there can be legit reasons for dl'ing mp3's and even exe's. now vbs i could see blocking. who does anything useful with VB?

Good Guru

Hmmm .. hackers trying to explot pitiful Lookout and Word setups? ;D

But to be specific -- we ran a cool proxy here (for windows) that could be configured to filter individual IPs as well as globally. Peons in customer service have no need for mp3's ... you probably already know the rest of that sentence.

I see the most locked down setup going thru some sort of a firewall and a proxy or filter of some kind. The only way to be sure, IMHO. Here we have the corporate asswipes that download ONLY virii and trojans and worms and whatever malicious code exists. To make MY life easier, these were put into place, not necessarily to protect them, but to protect my servers!!

If you consider fear a tool to use put a notice somewhere that putting these programs on your PC's is federal offense (personal tresspass, and theft of services) and state you will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

Good Guru

Hmmm .... I like that idea!! I may have to use it