Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q for Sys admins: Blocking P2P

Hybrid View

Q for Sys admins: Blocking P2P

I work for University and of couse we follow strict policies when it comes to copy write violations namely sharing pirated software on P2P file sharing software. I've had trouble with some users putting Kazaa, bearshare and limewire on computers on my network. Does anyone know if Kazaa,bearshare,napster,limewire and others use a common port to talk to each other? I'd like to block this at the router.

I welcome any experience or suggestions in the matter.

thanx,

Re:Q for Sys admins: Blocking P2P

i believe gnutella, and limewire is gnutella i think bearshare is too, is 6346

napster is 6669 i think?

and the other i don't know about.

Good Guru

AFAIK if you goto the gnutella client homepages, they have the port lists that gnutella clients use. I would suppose going to a Napster clients' homepage that could be resolved (although Napster is pretty safe these days -- no more copyright infringment is allowed for free). I dont know of any clients that can dynamically change ports for situations like this (other than on direct user to user transfers). They still need to connect to the network, so blocking the main port should suffice.

if not blocking the main port will at least drasitcally reduce the traffic caused by these. i read an article on /. about how much bandwidth P2P sucks up, not just with file transfers but with all the other crap that comes with them.

make sure you try to block imesh too. i use that and they have a pretty big fanbase too.

from a general look at my ports and connections when running kazaa, i think the port is 1214. when i block that port it appeared to do nothing to kazaa's abilities

Good Guru

try this out for size, maybe it will assist a bit. There is a process in which a server handshakes a client to create a converstation -- block that. I know its a breeze in OpenBSD with pf. I have ZERO experience in Linux firewall solutions, and most Winderz firewalls have some sort of pulldown or check box to accomplish this.

Just thought of this, this may help.

Mentor

cant you block them from downloading mp3's and mpegs rather than blocking the port?

i read somewhere( i dont remember where but if find the link i'll post it ) something about kazaa or gnutells or one of theose file sharing programs no using only 1 port but a buch of ports just incase their nornal port is blocked.

If you use the firewall to block mp3 or any kind of media file i think that would be easier.

just my .02 cents

how do you block MP3 transfers on a router?

Good Guru

that will be rough.

since it is just a file, the router will have no idea what it is. The best thing I can say is to use a proxy, and block certain file types.

You can either block the known ports at the router OR, you can block ALL ports and open the ones that you need.

And yes, Kazaa is 1214

even if you decided to block just mp3, i don't think that would exactly work, as it depends entirely on the protocol as to how the file is requested, and you'd prolly need to have special software to be able to detect when a gnutella client is asking for an mp3. also, there are legitimate reasons to download mp3's. i run the website for a youth symphony, and we put up mp3's of the concerts so parents can dl them and oooooh and aaaahh.

also, it's more than just the file transfers that kill bandwidth when dealing with P2P. i read about an interesting article on slashdot, and it is very relevant to this topic and worth a read.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...ead&tid=95

that's about all i have to say for now.

later guys