Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat 8.0: The new ease and power Linux champ

Hybrid View

Kind Mastermind

Red Hat 8.0: The new ease and power Linux champ

Tuesday October 08, 2002 - [ 09:56 AM GMT ]
    Topic - GNU/Linux

- By Timothy Lord -
    Recently, I tried out Red Hat's new version 8.0 ("Psyche&quot on my testing machine -- a machine whose purpose in life is to prevent me from making stupid mistakes with actually important data, equipped with a hard drive that's frequently wiped and refilled from scratch. Without trying to strain your credulity, I will say up front that Psyche's installation process (and the finished, freshly-installed system) is the best combination of ease and power that I've seen yet in any version of Linux to hit my hard drive.
    http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/10...6.shtml?tid=23

Cheers

Re:Red Hat 8.0: The new ease and power Linux champ

Yep, that did happen with my system installing RH 8.0, until I was ready to boot into it. Thats when my problems began! ???

I have no doubt to all Linux experts in this forum, but for me, I would rather get myself prepared well on the pre-installation part of the installation guide. Alots of problem being avoided because of a good preparation.

I still stand firm that Debian is better than Red Hat. I tried Red Hat 8.0, and found it quite nice, but there are a few problems:

- TOO BIG!!!!!!! I installed some basic stuff and I needed 1.5G
    - Complicated installer: GUI installer are harder to use IMO than CLI based ones. The easiest installer I've used is the OpenBSD one, because people just tell you what to write, not "Do you see x? Then go right-click with your foot crossed on the little invisible button, etc."
    - up2date costs money? I'm staying with apt-get

That guy obviously hasnt installed Mandrake 9....

For the desktop I really like what Lycoris has done.

- TOO BIG!!!!!!! I installed some basic stuff and I needed 1.5G
    This is true whenever you need most servers and basic stuff, saying about KDE and GNOME together will cost you fortune. Personally I installed Redhat 8 almost everything but those servers, including kernel development, programming tools, editors, engineering stuff, etc... already cost me about 3GB solely in / alone, I have another partition for /var and /usr/local

I have no choice but Redhat because some applications especially BEA Tuxedo, Weblogic needs to be best run on Redhat.

That guy obviously hasnt installed Mandrake 9....
    I think Mandrake is OK, how about Debian, now Debian is getting like hotcake... more and more software developers supports Debian packages (apt-get) as well as good to RPMs(Redhat, Mandrake) right?

For the desktop I really like what Lycoris has done.
    Btw, what is this Lycoris anywhere, how does it works?

[quote author=GnuVince link=board=7;threadid=5280;start=0#53159 date=1036497346]
    [/quote]

Where did you hear that? up2date doesn't cost a dime. I'm using it right now and I haven't paid a cent nor have I been prompted for money or credit card info.

[quote author=CHRONOS link=board=7;threadid=5280;start=0#53208 date=1036562158]
    [quote author=GnuVince link=board=7;threadid=5280;start=0#53159 date=1036497346]
    [/quote]

Where did you hear that? up2date doesn't cost a dime. I'm using it right now and I haven't paid a cent nor have I been prompted for money or credit card info.
    [/quote]

I think the right way to say this is for basic subscription is FREE, otherwise for premium or more than one system subscription, we gotta pay. But yet I still thanks Redhat for packaging RPMs with proper testing before releasing as well as other erratas as well. Apt-get is still my major customized updater agent.

Good Guru

[quote author=CHRONOS link=board=7;threadid=5280;start=0#53208 date=1036562158]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Chronos, you are correct.

Up2Date basically allows 3 forms of subscriptions. Free, small annual fee, bigtime annual fee.

Free means that you can access the server, but only if their bandwidth cap aint breached.

The smaller annual fee, will get you preferred access and you can login anytime. If the bandwidth cap is breached, non paying users get kicked off, until you can get on.

Lastly there is a bigass fee, that gives you your own Up2Date server to grab packages off of.