Thread: Xandros ?

Xandros ?

Anyone tried Xandros yet?

All of the reviews have been good and from what I can tell it is the closest linux distro to a desktop replacement out of the box yet. Unfortunately I haven't come up with the $99 to purchase it yet. I'm trying to convice one of my clients to purchase it for testing.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any firsthand experiance with it yet. If I get a chance to play around with it I will post something.

Re:Xandros ?

I've installed it, and it's very smooth, haven't had time to really put it through it's paces yet though.

I also want to really exercise crossover-office before I make any judgement calls.

One thing that I was very curious about is outlook under crossover office. One of the reviews said that it installed and worked and that they used it to send and email, but it did not say wether or not it would connect to an exchange server. If it will then I can definately get my client to purchase it for research purposes.

I have a friend who works at Xandros. He says his only really big complaint is that they're using a modified (apparently VERY modified....looks slick) KDE 2.2. If you want to upgrade to 3 or install apps that need 3, you're SOL...you won't have an easy time unless you throw a set of kdelibs in a separate place or something along those lines. But other than that, if you're just looking for something that works and works well right out of the box, apparently it can't be beat!

if they put kde 3 in that puppy and modify it as much as they did 2.2, man im hoppin over there! ;D
    -CJ

Kind Mastermind

I've got Lindows 1.1 which is based on xandros. As for the KDE thing, it sucks. It is very difficult to update (read, nearly impossible). They use KDE 3.0 CVS, so it's very much a KDE 2.x with some KDE 3 stuff back ported.

I'm thinking about just installing vanilla Debian instead of Lindows, but it's hard to get away from the whole three clicks and 10 minutes and your done thing. Hey, maybe I'll get crazy and install Corel Linux 1 and then update the crap out of it! That should drive me thoroughly crazy! stryder has a project, stryder has a project...why are there nice young men in little white coats coming for me...ooh, pretty padded cell!

why is everyone so big on KDE? Is it a desire for eye candy or a desire to be windows like?

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=7;threadid=5581;start=0#53833 date=1037319653]
    why is everyone so big on KDE? Is it a desire for eye candy or a desire to be windows like?
    [/quote]

For me it is the later- KDE provides a very good integrated desktop that can be configured to work much like Windoze. The one thing M$ got right was that GUI. I like it very, very much. Plus, since I use Windows at my office, going back and forth is quite easy.

My linux desktop looks a lot like Win2k, actually.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=7;threadid=5581;start=0#53833 date=1037319653]
    [/quote]

Actually, I have a much more practicle reason for using KDE. My oldest daughter's name is Katie. Whenever she sees the Kstart button, she gets excited. I really enjoy it when my daughter gets excited like that. It won't be much longer before her 4 yr old wonder and enthusiasm turns into angst and self-absorbtion. Plus, one of her fav games to mess with is ktubering or whatever the heck the mr potatohead dressing game is called. Ever minute I get to spend with my children is time well spent.