Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Lindows?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindows?

Kind Mastermind

Lindows?

Has anyone had any experience with Lindows yet? Any thoughts on it? Is it redhat based or debian based?

Cheers

Re:Lindows?

it's just a scam.

at first they promised it would allow u to run all your windows apps without any problems. when they couldn't get that done they started selling the KDE applications for money.

so if u buy Lindows u hardly have any software, and for only 99$ u can install Kmail through their Click-N-Run program. how cool is that?

It's a spoofed-up Debian system that encourages daily use as 'root' , I don't think its doing the Linux community a lot of good. >

gag..barf...its gonna make a bad impression on windows ppl cuz u still have to spend about as much as windows costs to even get it running well...
    -CJ

Kind Mastermind

Here is the reason why I ask:

Since I am stationed overseas, my parents deal with getting the "little" things that are a bit harder to get. I mentioned to my parents that I had around $200 for a barebones computer. They saw an ad or something on aol (hey, they like aol, I guess) for a certain Microtel computer from walmart.com. Since it fit the price bill, they ordered it for me.

Since it comes with lindows, I guess I will just have to mess around with it for a few minutes then install Slackware. That should be fun!

cloverm...my parents didn't realize that you had a link to walmart.com, or else they would have let me order it through your referral system. Sorry.

don't order it yet!
    walmart also offer those microtel computers with Mandrake iirc and i think the price is even better than for the lindows boxen

[edit] oh sorry didn't see they already ordered it [/edit]

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=4818;start=0#48031 date=1031012260]
    don't order it yet!
    walmart also offer those microtel computers with Mandrake iirc and i think the price is even better than for the lindows boxen

[edit] oh sorry didn't see they already ordered it [/edit]
    [/quote]

Yeah, I would have prefered a "real" distro. Oh well. I think that I might just buy a boxed set of RH or Mandy or Slack. Any thoughts? I see Suse has an office pack for around $30 USD. Might have to give it a try.

[edit]Went to Suse.com and I see that the office pack is an add on with updates to 8.0 and KDE 3. Hmmm...sounds like a winner.[/edit]

slack 9 will be out soon (the first beta is already out)

it's basically slack 8.1 but everything is compiled with gcc 3.2

I wonder if editing sources.list might not allow you to upgrade to "pure" Debian 3.0? Probably be a MASSIVE D/L, though.

Good Guru

I would suggest trying it out. I used a beta, and although not satisified, that was still a beta. The cost part is meaningless -- provided that the softaware has gotten up to par. I have proved that I will spend, by paying about $400 a year to redhat (I buy a pro kit about twice a year). If lindows is worth it, $99 is pretty small change, and only $20 more than SuSE pro.

the question is -- is it worth the $$$ ??