Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Question about Linux

Thread: Question about Linux

Mentor

Question about Linux

Somebody sent me this email:

What is Linux software and why is it "better" than Microsoft os? I've heard of it, but am a Mcrsft user from my working days and have never used anything else but a dos system back in '87. What are the advantages? differences? Is it more user friendly? Are there any disadvantages?

Thanks!

ps I collect penguins!
    How would you reply?

Kind Mastermind

Re:Question about Linux

[quote author=cloverm link=board=13;threadid=5221;start=0#51322 date=1033822681]

What is Linux software and why is it "better" than Microsoft os? I've heard of it, but am a Mcrsft user from my working days and have never used anything else but a dos system back in '87. What are the advantages? differences? Is it more user friendly? Are there any disadvantages?

Thanks!

ps I collect penguins!
    How would you reply?

[/quote]

Hmmm...that's a tough one. Here is some of what I would say:

1. Stability. Fewer system crashes. When a program crashes, it typically doesn't bring the whole system to a stand still.

2. Choice. You choose what you want. Don't want a feature, you don't usually have to have it installed.

3. More secure, usually.

4. Much easier to stay current without spending large quantities of money.

5. Harder to learn than windows but about equal with dos.

6. Worth a look.

That question he/she asked is a very broad one (it's like trying to describe a sunset to a blind man who has never seen colors before). Hope that gives you something to use or at least gives you a starting place.

Cheers

Mentor

[quote author=cloverm link=board=13;threadid=5221;start=0#51322 date=1033822681]

Thanks!

ps I collect penguins!
    How would you reply?

[/quote]

send them back a BRIEF description of Linux and then tell them to join the board and install linux and go from there.

you'll never know what it's like if you dont try it , right?