Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle Price

Hybrid View

Oracle Price

Anyone else besides me thinks Oracle is way expensive?

Mentor

Re:Oracle Price

I dunno. How much is it?

It is licensed by processors on the server. We paid $15,000 for each processor on one server ($30,000 total, just for the Oracle license.) Someone from another department told us that was a real low price, his dept. having paid more than $100,000 for the licences for the cluster.

Mentor

If companies are willing to pay that price for it, it must be worth it. If the $100,000 they spend on the license will generate or save the company $200,000, it's a good deal.

Good Guru

Well, put it this way -- they are all really good DB's, but its the fact that you are getting SOME form of technical support. From the little experience I have in DBA, that can be a real benefit. Especially for a company without a godly DBA to cover the company's ass in crisis situations.

Now for the average Joe, MS SQL and the OSS DB's are probably better suited. Oracle and whatever the IBM flavor is (cant remember -- brain fart) are the high end of the high end. Trickster, if you want a really good SQL server, MySQL and PostgreSQL are the two best (from what I hear and have seen) OSS options.

Allright. However, that license did not include support. It did include a 1 year upgrade option. I guess the county does not care much about the price, which is why they went with Oracle. (Besides, they are running an app called Maximo which requires Oracle.) It just struck me as expensive.
    Someone at work mentioned that the county did not wanted to go with OSS solutions, not because of lack of quality, but of support (I assume they don't feel comfortable enough with support from consultants I guess.)

Good Guru

Point them to the respective websites. There are a plethora of private companies that will install, maintain, and support in house technicians and DBAs. PostgreSQL IIRC is primarily a private company that offers the DB as an OSS package, but tries to push the commercial version. I may be wrong as to which one is free and commercial in that respect, but my heart is saying PostgreSQL. Either way check the sites -- there are a ton of places last time I checked. Squid and Apache are another pair of apps that fit into this category as well.

Where can I learn oracle.. A lot of jobs now require you to know oracle..

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=2;threadid=5262;start=#51700 date=1034279330]
    Where can I learn oracle.. A lot of jobs now require you to know oracle..
    [/quote]

I would download it from the Oracle website (it's free) and install it on my computer. Then buy a decent tutorial book on Oracle and start reading it and start working with the installed software. Unless you have money to spend on an Oracle course.

those it install in Linux?