Thread: RH8.0 and mirroring

RH8.0 and mirroring

Hey all finally I got the five iso's from ftp.crc.ca

It averaged about 300kbps so not bad. I did have problems with blackouts and they are limited to a few users per session.

My question is now that I have them how do I setup a mirror so those less fortunate than I can grab them from my system?

I assume FTP and I have that available, however I am clueless as to how to setup a secure directory (meaning that is where you get when you login). You cannot get any further than the iso directory.

How would I limit the number of users per session?

Okay that should start the help me Mr. Wizard

Ras

Good Guru

Re:RH8.0 and mirroring

[quote author=Rastar link=board=4;threadid=5256;start=0#51535 date=1034118419]
    My question is now that I have them how do I setup a mirror so those less fortunate than I can grab them from my system?
    [/quote]
    No need to mirror. Mirroring is that it will automatically update the directory when your target server got updated. Just set up FTP for people to download.

I assume FTP and I have that available, however I am clueless as to how to setup a secure directory (meaning that is where you get when you login). You cannot get any further than the iso directory.
    May be this will help.

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/Ja...ticle225.shtml

But if you set up the FTP directory, people will NOT be able to get to higher directory if you set your ftproot directory correctly.

How would I limit the number of users per session?
    That depends on what FTP server you use.

In ProFTPd server, it's controlled by "MaxInstances" setting in /etc/proftpd.conf file. If you set this one up for the value of 30, then 30 concurrent connections will be allowed. And this setting is for user name based log ins....

For anonymous FTP service, it's controlled via MaxClients setting. If you set it to 10, then it will allow 10 concurrent anon users.

In the ProFTPd configuration file, you can also limit Write directory config, thus making it chroot like evironment.

I LOVE ProFTPd because it's very well commented fine piece of software which you mostly need not to read all those manuals but learn by looking at the config file. Give it a go based on user/password basic first before setting up anonymous logins ....

HTH ....