Thread: Red Hat 8.0 for KDE Users (and Newbies)

Mentor

Red Hat 8.0 for KDE Users (and Newbies)

I know what you're thinking, but don't worry. This article isn't 'Yet Another Red Hat 8.0 Review'. This article is primarily about using Red Hat 8.0 if you happen to be a newbie, but it's also about using Red Hat 8.0 if you happen to be a KDE user. Why? I happen to be a KDE user, so it makes sense I'd focus more on what I know the most about. Plus, I still remember the frustration of staring with something akin to terror at a blank command line with lots of ideas about what I'd like to do and very little knowledge of how to do it.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1890

Re:Red Hat 8.0 for KDE Users (and Newbies)

Ive heard nothing but bad things about Bluecurve...is it really THAT bad?

Granted that I came from the DOS days of yore, but when I first started using Linux, the CLI was just a new place to learn new things.

These days, the CLI is a very comfortable place to be able to get to.

I have one machine running Red Hat 8.0, another running SuSE 8.0 Professional, and a laptop running the "Linux nemesis" :'(. Anyway here's a short prospective from a newbie on Linux.
    I've been a SuSE 8.0 user for 6 months now. I have SuSE because; I'm in the military and stationed overseas and SuSE is a German Linux program. I installed SuSE on a home-built computer along with 14 other people. We did it as a group so we could learn linux during our off-duty time. Here's what I compiled on the SuSE machine:
    • KT7A motherboard
    • AMD XP 1.4Ghz processor
    • Nvidai Geoforce 2
    • SBLive value
    • 3com 812C external ADSL
    • HP 612C printer
    • HP ScanJet 3300C scanner
    • Creative Webcam Go
    • Logitech cordless usb mouse

I've had absolutely nothing but the best of luck with SuSE. The only complication I've had is my usb mouse locked up once. It free'd itself somehow and is back to normal.

Here's the Red Hat 8.0 system:
    • MSI-6330 motherboard
    • AMD 1.2Ghz T-bird processor
    • ATI 128 Rage pro
    • SBLive 5.1 platinum
    • Logitech 3000 pro cam
    • HP scanjet 3300C (same as other machine.)
    • HP DeskJet 612C (shares via switch)
    • 3com 812C external ADSL (shares via hub)
    • Logitech cordless mouse (same as other machine)

Now Red Hat 8.0 has been a challenge. I understand that as a newbie there lies the possibility that I'm going to have some problems, but my goodness. Here's a list of some of the complications I've had:
    [list][*] Xsane trying to use my Logitech camera in place of my scanner. The scanner still ain't working.[*] No desktop sounds. I had to download the $35.00 commercial OSS just to get desktop sound on my computer. I could play CDs, DVDs, etc., but no desktop sounds, go figure.[*] Cannot compile a kernel correctly. First of all I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but I've read everything I could get my hands on, including a $60.00 Linux complete reference book I purchased. Everytime I get to the "make modules" part I get errors. I can easily do the make mrproper, make xconfig, make deps, and sometimes even the make bzImage. I can't do the make bzDisk because it's too large 2.5Mb???? So the make modules, make_install modules is out of the question.
    Anyway, I'll keep plugging away and sooner or later I'm going to get this figured out.
    If you have any of the hardware items listed above that I'm using please let me know good websites to go to for a better reference. Escpecially the scanner. The testtool offered at sourgeforce isn't working for me. And I hate having to reboot to log into Windows XP so I can use my scanner.

Anyway, have a happy go lucky Linux day to ya.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=courage link=board=7;threadid=5251;start=0#52280 date=1035106915]
    I can't do the make bzDisk because it's too large 2.5Mb????[/quote]

Why must you use bzDisk? Are you trying to put it on a floppy? I have never done this step before. Maybe you could forget about using it so that you can complete the process. Go on over to the LFS website and view the documentation there. It is good info, which may help you out a bit.

HTH...Cheers

Suse is a beast

[quote author=coltrane link=board=7;threadid=5251;start=0#51581 date=1034170318]
    Ive heard nothing but bad things about Bluecurve...is it really THAT bad?
    [/quote]

Bluecurve is just another GUI thing, I have no problem with it, unless you are looking for some great eye candy changes from time to time (can't stick with the same GUI look all the time), otherwise I am fine with it.

I've tried a couple releases from SuSE, the latest being 8.1, and have had nothing but bad luck. I've never had a release of SuSE recognize my VERY common monitors that I use at home. I'm not even able to use my USB Microsoft wheel mouse (which, works with every other distro I've tried). Even after making sure it was chosen in Yast and /etc/X11/XF86Config was configured properly. And, yes, imwheel was installed.

Another reason I purchased the latest release of SuSE is because it advertised better support for wirless network cards. Well, I installed it on my laptop and tried for two days to configure my Linksys WPC11 NIC. This is a very common wireless NIC and it just won't work with SuSE. After a little bit of work (about 10 minutes worth), I was up and running on my wireless network with Red Hat and Mandrake.

Personally, I've always liked Red Hat and Mandrake. I've given SuSE money for the last time.

My advise is do not BUY linux for testing... let say after a few distro downloads and you found that XXX distro is the best u need, then only buy for the support... get it?