Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future of this site

Mentor

The future of this site

I need everybody's input here. If you were in my shoes, what would you change to keep people from leaving?

I tried taking all off-topic discussions to a different board, but it did not seem to help, and the overall feedback on the move is quite negative.

- Should we moderate more, or less?
    - Should we bring back the off topic discussions to this board?
    - If so, how should we change the rules?

Re:The future of this site

My two cents:

I'd say more moderation on checking that discussions don't get to personal attacks. I think it has been the case many times that we have been able to discuss many different points of view successfully, until it gets to the point where personal attacks begin. Then it degenerates.
    My opinion is, define a set of things that won't be allowed: warez, illegal things, personal attacks (and define what personal attacks would be..) Perhaps establish tools for moderators: perhaps first a friendly warning to offenders, then either a second, stronger warning or ban or whatever seems appropiate.
    I personally haven't felt that the moderators have made bad decisions yet.

It saddens me that this has happened, since I really like LinuxJunior. I hope we can work on our differences. Cloverm, you have my support on whatever decision you shoose to take.

I don't think that it will make a lot of difference how many rules you lay down or where you place off topic discussions. I have noticed that everybody here is passionate about everything on this board either linux related or not. Some people are going to get mad and some are going to get ugly it is a fact of life and human nature. Most people eventually reach a point to agree to disagree and then move past it. None of the people that gather here to exchange help and ideas are neighbors they live all around the world, so when a topic gets heated then probably a gentle reminder by a moderator followed by sterner action.

Good Guru

[quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=5227;start=0#51371 date=1033862014]
    - Should we moderate more, or less?
    [/quote]
    I champained for more active moderators. It was because I felt that having attacks resolve in time is much more relevent than moderators not presenting at all.

But that doesn't mean that you have to have too much restrictions. Unless it's overly vicious personal attacks, let the debaters take the course and watch it. No need to change their posts just because they use a few offending words and just because someone call the other lazy. Come on now .......

- Should we bring back the off topic discussions to this board?
    IMHO, yes.

- If so, how should we change the rules?
    I believe that the rules are in place. We just need to have more open-minded moderators who will stay away from participating in heated discussions. The problem with mods participating in heated discussions is that if the other side posted offensive post, then it will seem like the mod who deleted the message is doing it just because they are on opposite side.

[quote author=mmiller9 link=board=18;threadid=5227;start=0#51386 date=1033917758]
    I don't think that it will make a lot of difference how many rules you lay down or where you place off topic discussions. I have noticed that everybody here is passionate about everything on this board either linux related or not.[/quote]
    You are going over board with the word "everybody". That simply is not true. I don't give a fuck about who think what and I don't really care whoever else is think of me. I don't passionate even about Linux. I'm sure there are those like me on this board. PBHarris, for example.

Some people are going to get mad and some are going to get ugly it is a fact of life and human nature.
    I agree with you there.

so when a topic gets heated then probably a gentle reminder by a moderator followed by sterner action.
    A good first step.

You can not make everyone happy, no matter what you do. You have to keep that in mind. Besides, it is not your responibility to keep everyone happy.

So, here is my advice, and this is how I would run the board:

1. Moderators should moderate based on the User Agreement. This board has a fantastic User Agreement. It is short, concise and fair. It states right up front what is and is not allowed. Stick to it. When a moderator takes action, cite the specific portion of the Agreement resulting in the moderation. Only moderate when there is a clear violation of the User Agreement. And members need to take responsibility for their own actions as well. Think about what you are posting.

2. Bring back the off topic discussions to this board. We have had several very interesting topics come up in the off topic section. There is no need for a whole seperate board- in fact, that is just silly. This is a Linux group, first and foremost. A single, general, off topic forum is quite adaquate for off topic discussions.

3. As to how you should change the rules, well, I don't see any compelling reason to do so at all. Again, the User Agreement covers all the rules we need. Period. I guess you could make the off topic section a Karma Free Zone, but sheesh, people should be mature enough to use karma to rate the helpfulness of members with respect to Linux and computer topics and not to be vindictive about personal opinions.

So, to summerize- use moderation moderately, bring back off topic, enforce the User Agreement as written and don't keep trying to add unneeded and complex rules.

Mentor

Thank you for the feedback!

After reading all the posts in this and other threads, this is the gameplan I came up with:

- Keep the new off-topic board. I really like it, and want to keep it going.
    - Bring back the off-topic discussions to this board. It will give everybody the option to talk about anything they wish, while not encouraging controversial topics (like Rants and Raves or Opinions). Opinions and Playground will stay on the new board.
    - Advise all moderators to keep administrative measures (editing, locking, deleting, banning) to a last resort, while immediately jumping in on any conversation that has the potential of getting out of hand. Here is an example what I mean: http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...d=5123;start=0

[quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=5227;start=0#51409 date=1033955028]
    - Advise all moderators to keep administrative measures (editing, locking, deleting, banning) to a last resort, while immediately jumping in on any conversation that has the potential of getting out of hand. Here is an example what I mean: http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...d=5123;start=0

[/quote]

WTF?

Is it now a crime to give advice on a Linux forum? >

Let's not all get hysterical when people say that one distro is better than others for certain things, guys...

Use the best tool for the job.

Mentor

[quote author=Prince Myshkin link=board=18;threadid=5227;start=#51410 date=1033956142]
    [quote author=cloverm link=board=18;threadid=5227;start=0#51409 date=1033955028]

[/quote]

WTF?

Is it now a crime to give advice on a Linux forum? >

Let's not all get hysterical when people say that one distro is better than others for certain things, guys...

Use the best tool for the job.
    [/quote]

No, no, no. Please do not take quoting that particular thread personal. Absolutely nothing against you. It is just an example how moderators should act when they come accross a post that might start a flamewar. (BTW. I am a devoted Debian user, but let's keep this thread on topic.)

hi Prince,
    Cloverm was giving an example of good modership! e.g. saying lets not start a flame war. I don't see how this was directed towards any indivual.

doh!! too slow...

Good Guru

Cloverm done a great job in that thread ....

But ....

But, distro wars are a big fun part of using Linux as well ..... Without them, life would be boring ..... :-\

Your distro vs my distro
    Kde vs Gnome
    KOffice vs OpenOffice
    Rpm vs Apt vs source

Those are just a few fun part of it .... It's just life ... Grow up .. Get over it ....