Thread: Mandrake kernel compile tips

Mandrake kernel compile tips

Well after resolving a long-standing hardware hangup on the main box, I've put Mandy 8.2 back in and everyone of my former hangups with 8.2 have cleared up. I thought I had problems with devfs but it turned out my old SB16 caused conflicts (ex: caused my isa hardware modem to lock until resetting dma in the bios) Anyway. I still keep my Debian 3.0 on a spare partition. And in my run with it I learned kernel compiling is a breeze. Question is though does Mandrake do anything special to their kernels they roll with the distro. I would like to use my own custom kernel but worry I will render the system unusable in that kernel if it doesn't include Mandrake's tweaks. Any Mandy users have a custom kernel working.

Re:Mandrake kernel compile tips

Yea you can use a custom kernel of course, but there are some annoyances. The ramdisk might be needed with it, sometimes I have gotten them to boot without , sometimes I cant until I mke a ramdisk. Also mandrake is patched with supermount, so unless u patch the kernel, no supermount.

Basically compile a kernel, see if it boots up, if not its probably a ramdisk you need: mkinitrd is the command I believe to create it and then of course update lilo with it.

Good luck!

Ah that's what I was afraid of. Haven't checked yet (I'm back at work now) is the supermount patch available at kernel.org or is that a Mandrake specific patch? I've done a few compiles now but haven't patched a kernel yet.

Remember though, supermount patch only if you still want supermount. If you dont patch it, it simply wont have supermount.....

url=http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~quintela/supermount/2.4.18/ <-- patch for 2.4.18

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~quin...rmount/2.4.19/ <-- patch for 2.4.19

to patch the kernel, place supermount.patch file in the kernel source dir (/usr/src/linux..) and patch -p1 < supermount.patch

Good luck

Edit: those links dont show up correctly b/c of the ~, just copy paste them

<fixed links>

Thanks. I've got the 2.4.19 source already. So do I patch it after doing the kernel compile (probably an obvious yes just making sure)

Are those the two things to look out for? Or are there other little buggers I will need to watch for?