Thread: Evolution and Login

mugs

Evolution and Login

I use Suse 8.0. I upgraded Evolution from 1.02 to 1.08 with the utility on Ximian's site. I chose just to upgrade Ximian. Well, now I no longer get the GUI log in, I must type StartX...and when I go to log out I no longer get all the choices of shutting down, logging in as a different user, etc. I chekced inittab and it is set to runlevel 5! Also, it deleted JPilot, it seems, but I guess I can get that back.

How can get back to gui login? Thanks.

mugs

Re:Evolution and Login

More info: I changed the runlevel and then changed it back to 5. When I rebooted I got this message right before it would normally go to the GUI to login:

"The GDM group does not exit, please correct gdm.conf."

I went to etc/opt/gnome/gdm/gdmconf and of course group is set to "gdm". What should it be set to, or where do I find what it should be set to?

Thanks.

mugs

Ok, the problem seems to be that it is trying to use GDM instead of KDM, because I was able to fix the gdm error message and it was ok. HOWEVER, I want to go back to using KDM, but I have been unable to figure out how yet. So, if anyone knows....I would appreciate it. Thanks.

you need to change some x setting to say to use kdm, i can't recall where it is tho...
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

mugs

Ok, I found it, it was in etc/sysconfig. I had to set the displaymanager back to KDM. Now I have to figure out how to get jpilot back!

Also, now when I am in KDE, things are different, looks more like it was when I logged in as root.