Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: missing .journal file

missing .journal file

I have 2 partitions, /dev/hda1, which is the root partition, ,and /dev/hda2 which is mounted on /home. I tried playing a badly scratched cd, and it made X lock up so bad that I had to do a hard reboot. When booting, it said it recovered the file system, but now the .journal file from /home is missing. The root journal, however, is still there. Anyone know why this would happen?

Mike

Re:missing .journal file

No clue...file corruption?

This is weird. I just typed tune2fs -j /dev/hda2 and it says the filesystem already has a journal. I wonder if the journal for both partitions is kept in the root journal?

Mike

Mabye that is it...I just did a google search and found this at http://bulmalug.net/impresion.phtml?nIdNoticia=1154

"Ext3 reserves one of the special ext2 i-nodes for storing the journal log, but the journal can be on any i-node in any file system or it can be on any arbitrary sub-range, set of contiguous blocks on any block device. It is possible to have multiple file systems sharing the same journal."

Now i just used debugfs to check both partitions and it says the both have a journal but need recovery.....

hello,
    i assume you are using fsck.ext3 - can ya boot from a floppy of CD to see to fix it? or are you already because you can't mount root partiton for a fsck

I can mount my root filesystem fine, and when i check it with fsck.ext3 it says it is fine.

Another problem I have is that I tried to switch back to ext2 and delete the journal file in /, so I could start over, and it will not let me delete the journal file. It says the file cannot be unlinked. It also will not let me change permissions on the file.

Ignore that last post. I just googled it and found out the soultion in a redhat mailing list. I had to do chattr -i /.journal, which changed the permissions so I could delete it

hi mike,
    i am not sure if ther eis still an issue but if ya want the /home partition to ahve its own .journel file i would do a mighty mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /home after that i would do a tune2fs -j /dev/hda2 and there should be a .journel file there.