Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool applications

Re:Cool applications

ProFTPD A great ftp server. Very easy to configure, pretty secure out of the box, very secure with a little extra work. And here's a book about it

edit:
    Something I stumbled over while I was searching for a php based web front-end to a mysql database:

OpenDb it's a very elaborate database front-end for music and video databases that supports library-like features: You check-out/check-in items, check items for availability, reserve them,... If you have a few friends you're regularly sharing books, CDs, videos,... with this might be interesting for you.

How the hell was OpenOffice missed? Really the only rival I know for MS Office suite.

Also, I just found this one today. Developed by IBM, but available for free, it's Eclipse.. Not 100% sure of all it can do, but from playing with it for half an hour or so, it makes a HELL of a Java IDE. Implemented in GTK2 as well, so it's functional and purrrrdy at the same time. Can't go wrong.

EDIT: I just read a little more on Eclipse. Looks to be big...real big. Does anyone know more about this than I that they can add? It would seem it aims to be a "universal tool platform." Apparently there are projects going on for a C/C++ IDE, Cobol IDE, and many more. Explore the site...it's most worth it.

Any thoughts on a section for cool apps links? Maybe (shall i dare?) LJO members rating for the proggies?

This is such a cool thread, why not make it a permenent part of LJO?

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

[quote author=flashingcurser link=board=2;threadid=5187;start=30#58993 date=1044032773]
    Any thoughts on a section for cool apps links? Maybe (shall i dare?) LJO members rating for the proggies?

This is such a cool thread, why not make it a permenent part of LJO?

[/quote]

What a terrific idea!

Yes! One thing newbies need more than anything is help on picking apps. Good, consise reviews would be a great help.

This could be a service that sets LJO above the rest!

i was thinking of turn this thread into a PET or maybe a series of PETs, but keeping this sticky so we don't loose place of it. the rating system s a very nice idea, that would be up to cloverm as i have no idea on how to implement bb stuff.

Agreed. I'm constantly giving advice to my friends who are transitioning on good apps. Fantastic idea.

Tried to get apt-get for RH8.0 but it does not install. It just sits there after I hit the enter key.

Commands
    su
    password
    rpm -Uvh apt-*

What am I doing wrong?

Also can someone share a good link to download the synaptic <SP> gui for apt-get? I must be stupid cause I could not find a good download link.

Ras

Good Guru

you may have hosed your rpm db. Thats an easy fix.

First ensure that you cannot do anything with the RPM db. If you cant (like a sudo rpm -q --whatprovides mozilla ) then you need to do ::

sudo rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
    sudo rpm --rebuilddb

That is two underscores in the delete command, BTW

Then retry the apt-rpm install. I see that you may have gotten this far from you other thread. If so, read my answer there. If not, when you get there -- use that info. That is the full howto on apt-rpm.

http://amsn.sourceforge.netAmsn - looks nice, needs a little work, but a nice msn client in general