Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool applications

Re:Cool applications

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=2;threadid=5187;start=0#51132 date=1033531613]
    gkrellm. Definitely a needed app. It makes everything nice...
    [/quote]

That's a cool one.... ;D

Another app that I really enjoyed recently is Mantis.
    It's a bug tracking system, but can be customized to anuthing else - I've customaized it to act as Trackng System for Changes to Server Equipment. You cam open project, assign created users to project and make them update it with changes - it is pretty good for organization that has IT personnel dispersed all over the country that needs to have a central interface to submit updates. Mantis is web based and uses mysql/apache/php as a backend.

One more cool thing...for those (like me) who doesn't know how to deal with ipchains and require GUI to mange firewalls:
    www.fwbuilder.org - fwbuilder is pretty good thing and works very good, I implemented it on a couple of hosts on our network, already.

mondo - one slick back up utility and disaster recovery tool - it backs up to cdr, cdrw, or NFS.

checkinstall - This will make deb, rpm or slackware tgz packages from programs that are compiled from source.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=5187;start=0#52739 date=1035861300]
    checkinstall - This will make deb, rpm or slackware tgz packages from programs that are compiled from source.
    [/quote]

Thanks, pb...I'll be downloading it tonight when I get home. I have found several programs (mostly libraries) that I can only get in source form. This program seems to be the answer to a question that was forming in my mind. Dang, pb, do you read minds? ;D

Mono takes .NET's C# language and de-.NET-ifies it, making it runnable on linux. Included is a C# compiler and runtime environment. I've been tinkering with it for a few hours now and it compiles at least basic programs. I'm working on a fairly large C# project for school, so once that's done we'll test it on Mono and see how things go. Apparently it recognizes the vast majority of the language, with improvements yet to come. For those of you who are interested in/forced to learn C# (a little of column A, a little of column B), this project is invaluable.

Like it or not, .NET seems to be carving itself a sizeable niche. It seems future development on Windows platforms will be geared towards .NET, and that's a great deal of development. And yes, once you use it for a while a respect develops for the robustness of the technology that Microsoft developed here. Allowing Linux to play as well is a big step in the right direction.

KVim eh? I'll be trying that one out as soon as I change my underwear.

edit by pbharris:
    thanks Tyr_7BE! I just rearranged what you posted and i am sure Mono will be releavant in lew of Kollar-Kotelly's ruling in the Microsoft Trial today.

Schotty hit the nail on the head for me! 8)

[quote author=Schotty link=board=2;threadid=5187;start=0#51541 date=1034119536]
    Apt-get for RedHat 8.0

Synaptic, which is a must have GUI for this apt-get for RedHat

apt-get install synaptic will provide you with it too.

I just got it today on my work box an WHOA!!! That tied in with the nice GUI tool, is just awesome. Can we say goodbye to dpendency hell? I sure can now

[/quote]

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=I'm A Penguin link=board=2;threadid=5187;start=0#52928 date=1036126578]
    Schotty hit the nail on the head for me! 8)

[quote author=Schotty link=board=2;threadid=5187;start=0#51541 date=1034119536]
    Apt-get for RedHat 8.0

Synaptic, which is a must have GUI for this apt-get for RedHat

apt-get install synaptic will provide you with it too.

I just got it today on my work box an WHOA!!! That tied in with the nice GUI tool, is just awesome. Can we say goodbye to dpendency hell? I sure can now

[/quote]
    [/quote]

You're right, I just downloaded synaptic. Wow! I thought that apt-get was awesome, this is like icing on the cake! Thanks guys.

Cheers

Mentor

DIrect Connect http://dc.ketelhot.de
    This is a great file sharing program. It works via public hubs. You connect to this hub sharing your files and then you can browse other users files.