Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
No SWAP?

Thread: No SWAP?

Mentor

No SWAP?

Whats this? Will any of you change?

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3202

Kind of - when it was posted to kerneltrap a month or so ago, I read with interest the swappiness node:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3000

I'm trying it out now; I set my swappiness to 0. I've got 512MB of SDRAM, so I might be tempting fate by doing that. I'd feel a little more confident if I had more RAM and, especially, DDR RAM. I'll report how it goes if anything dramatic changes.

I am not game to muck around with my swap settings, especially because I only have 128mb of Ram! Oh, and the graphics card takes 32mb of that for the display!
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

I have 256MB RAM in the machine I use for most of my work, and generally it never touches the swap partition ... but sometimes it just has to push into it a little.

Personally, I'd always have a little swap space there just in case. I'll always somehow, subconciously manage to just about fill the available physical RAM, so it's nice to have a little bit of a buffer there

Ok, I've been running swappiness at 0 for about 24 hours now and performance *does* seem to be a little snappier. I certainly haven't experienced any disasters or lock-ups, so that's a good sign. I even tried compiling some kernel modules to see if that would choke it but it cruised right through. Looks promising for 2.6 kernel sans swap, eh? :w00t:

Well, I will sit this experiance out, 640MB of DDR RAM and the only time my swap (640MB) was ever touched, was when kopete sprung a leak a while ago. But being as I started with linux when the swap minimum was (2 * [RAM]) I cannot bring myself to detatch myself from that safety net

I am not afraid of change though, and if things seem to go well with this, I will dismantle my swap partition too.

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. When I upgraded all of my machines to 2.6.x I was hoping to enjoy the performance benefits I kept reading about on every Linux website from here to Finland, but honestly I just couldn't tell the difference. Having now set swappiness to 0, however, there is a _definite_ speed increase. Again, my system only has 512MB of PC133 SDRAM, so it's not like I'm running a racehorse here.

It's official: Viva 2.6! :twisted: