Thread: How to break the line in BASH?

How to break the line in BASH?

Hi all. As some of you know I have been trying to make a dial up script that promps for a passwd. I am 99% done. All I need to know is how to break the line or like a CTRL-C so that if they get the password wrong it dumps them off the modem line. Anyone know the syntax? Thanks in advance. I will post the scripts once it is final in case anyone else ever needs it.

Re:How to break the line in BASH?

you don't mean the good old

\

do ya? e.g.

this is a single line \
    and this is part of the same line ?

No, hehe, I didn't exlpain it good enough. I meant the line as in phone line. You know so they get bumped off the phone line. Disconnected. I should have said disconnected, that makes more sense. How do I do that in a script?

Mentor

You just need to send an ATH command to the serial port the modem is on. I'm not sure, however how to talk to the serial port in bash ...

Well I did alot of searching and still can't get it. Even with the ATH thing I can't find info. I read somewhere that `^d' is control d, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions or places where I can search. Thanks.

hello,
    while i have never done this i think minicom has ways you can call it with scripts to issue commands, i am positive things like this get done quite commonly...

[quote author=datamike link=board=1;threadid=5179;start=0#51141 date=1033564053]
    Well I did alot of searching and still can't get it. Even with the ATH thing I can't find info. I read somewhere that `^d' is control d, but it didn't work. Any other suggestions or places where I can search. Thanks.
    [/quote]
    ^D is used to mean control D, but you write it by Control-V Control-D.

are you trying to echo this to /dev/ttyS0 ? or what?

Yes, well ttyQa16 but anyway, yes I need emulate control-d so it disconnects them from the dial up line if they get the password wrong.

I'm probably a million miles off here towards answering your question, but I use "ifup ppp0" to connect and "ifdown ppp0" to disconnect my modem. If I've completely missed the question, sorry.

Jim

[quote author=datamike link=board=1;threadid=5179;start=0#51177 date=1033616438]
    Yes, well ttyQa16 but anyway, yes I need emulate control-d so it disconnects them from the dial up line if they get the password wrong.
    [/quote]

echo -e "^D" > /dev/ttyQa16

the ^D you make by hitting control-v followed by control-d

good luck