Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat Releases Red Hat Linux 8.0

Mentor

Red Hat Releases Red Hat Linux 8.0

Sept. 30, 2002--Red Hat, Inc. (Nasdaq:RHAT) today released Red Hat Linux 8.0, a highly versatile operating system designed for personal and small business computing.

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/...mp;ticker=RHAT

Good Guru

Re:Red Hat Releases Red Hat Linux 8.0

Is anybody got RH 8.0? The server was so packed that I can't even get to redhat.com site ...

Advisor

I wanna know more about this "Bluecurve" thing, is it a whole new DE? or modified GNOME or what?

Good Guru

Bluecurve is a whole new GUI.

It's basically Red Hat taking advantage of both Gnome and Kde and trying to combine them together ( as many of us had wish to have done ). It create a consistancy based desktop no matter you are using Gnome or Kde.

Currently if you install Kde based, then you will only get Kde softwares. If you install Gnome, you will mainly get Gnome tools. Bluecurve address that by having the desktop the way you wanted it without having to install BOTH DEs which many of us have to do if you like one software from Kde camp and another from Gnome camp.

Do a search on Google for bluecurve. It has a lot more info than I remember.

Advisor

Thanx for the info, I'll take a look into that.

Has anyone tried it yet? I managed to get the first iso last night, I will try to get the second and third tonight, but is there any first impressions out there to make it worth while?

Mentor

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=19;threadid=5164;start=#51122 date=1033525483]
    Has anyone tried it yet? I managed to get the first iso last night, I will try to get the second and third tonight, but is there any first impressions out there to make it worth while?
    [/quote]
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...;threadid=5166

Good Guru

I have been running 8.0 now since Tuesday (thats when the shipment arrived)

I give it a 8.5/10

A 10 would mean it cooks and cleans for me. And is a large breasted blonde that has a insatiable lust for bratwurst. ;D

But it is nice. The one thing (for real) that irked me from the beta to the final, is the announced removal of mp3 tools. Its an easy d/l to get them, but I am lazy dammit! Its got amazing support for ogg vorbis however. Thats what dropped it one full point for me.

That and the fact that they are sticking with (as usual) default GNOME settigns. At least Ximian is out there with the upgraded version. I like the transparencies in Ximian 1.4, and when 2.0 comes out I will have it

I've been using it since Monday, and I have to say, I HATE IT! I can understand RH is trying to make a stab at Windows, but in the process they crippled it!!! Bluecurve looked nice, but now I see why one of their developers quit. Nice that they had bleeding edge packages, but so far, the ones I've seen missing from 7.3 I don't see how they thought they wern't crucial. On top of that the package manager sucks. You can't serach for particular packages w/o having to open up a terminal. This is definatly the most user friendly Linux now, but only to Win users. I'm sorry, but this version really made me ask "Why the hell did I wipe my drive for this!?!" At least compiling from source isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I've never been a big fan of redhat in the least, for some reason it just never appealed to me. I did try redhat 7.2 for the hell of it to see if I was indeed missing out on anything. I didn't just get that "this is it" feeling from it. I got that feeling though the moment I installed Slackware 8.1 hehe. Does redhat 8.0 let you choose KDE, Gnome, or BlueCruve(is that what the new combined desktop is called?). Or does it just keep Gnome and "BlueCurve" and no KDE?