Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mandrake Linux 9.0 First Impressions

Thread: Mandrake Linux 9.0 First Impressions

Mentor

Mandrake Linux 9.0 First Impressions

As a long time Red Hat user I have of course been awaiting 8.0, but since Mandrake 9.0 was released a little sooner, I decided to give it a try, while I was waiting on Red Hat 8.

I had high hopes, but my hopes were quickly dashed.

http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.ph...tent&id=17

Re:Mandrake Linux 9.0 First Impressions

Damn...that's too bad. Hope others have had a more positive experience and publish their results. I've had nothing but joy from Mandy, and only moved on because I felt it was time to experience what was out there. I've not tried 8.x or 9, but the 7.2 release was my first distro and taught me a lot. Let's hope our friends at MandrakeSoft get it together.

Thats the biggest load of crap I ever saw! For one, drake 9 FINAL ships with mozilla 1.1 FINAL, not beta. So off the bat he was NOT using 9.0 final. Also all those USB/PS2 problems were in the RELEASE CANIDATES, not final again.....And for all the other probs he had, he booted into Gnome for crying out loud

Seriously if I wasnt so lazy Id sign up and curse him out. But anyways....Drake 9 is the best Distro I have used period. Its WAY faster than 8.x series was, and is simple enough for even a life long windoze user to install (but appaently not a linuxorbit journalist) . KDE 3.0.3 is VERY responsive and quick and on every box I have put it on, from cutting edge new hardware, all the way to p233 laptops, not a prob yet. Go get it!

[quote author=rick420 link=board=7;threadid=5171;start=0#51040 date=1033424798]
    And for all the other probs he had, he booted into Gnome for crying out loud

Drake 9 is the best Distro I have used period.
    [/quote]
    What's wrong with gnome? I don't use a DE personally but I would much rather use Gnome than KDE.

And just what other Distros have you used? Auto configuring KDE and fancy gui tools are not for everyone and they sure don't tech you how to trouble shoot when your X is not working or you cannot get it installed because the gui installer won't tell you why something did not install.

man, this was the biggest idiot ever....there was stuff they didnt know that i knew from trying mandy 7.2 a few times!
    -CJ

"whats wrong with gnome"

LOL, i wont even begin there, besides the fact they are SO FAR behind KDE in terms of a DE they might as well quit wasting time working on it....

And last time I checked KDE comes with konsole.....as in cli config...From a standpoint on bringing in a user from a MAC or WIN box nothing touches KDE/Mandrake. Its EASIER to install drake than XP i think. And KDE has a better layout than that new XP crap layout. Personally I would only recommend Drake/KDE for a "junior" coming into linux.......