Thread: Ignorant about monitors

Ignorant about monitors

I am thinking of replacing my current montor with an LCD monitor. Right now I have a NEC Multisync FE700. I am a moderate gamer, and of course need something that runs under linux. Are LCD monitors worse than traditional monitors, the same or better. Really, I am in the dark here and am not afraid to say that i don't know diddly squat about displays.

Kind Mastermind

Re:Ignorant about monitors

See this link: http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...y;threadid=791. cloverm bought one. You will need a video card that has dvi output or some kind of dongle that will convert between the two types of input.

Ok let's pretend that money is not an issue and that I'm rich beyond belief (remember, we're pretending here). Can anyone recommed a good LCD monitor in the 17" to 19" range?

Actually, I just got a promotion, and to celebrate I'm upgrading my box and everything else along with it, most of which has not been upgraded since 1999.

Mentor

I'm very happy with the Viewsonic VG171b. Whatever you get, make sure it has DVI input. That $50 or whatever you will have to spend on a video card with DVI output is well worth it.

From what I've seen in the last 2 years (that's how old my rig is) I've yet to see an LCD that can compete with my CRT. I haven't checked out anything in the last few months so they might have caught up by now. IMO for the money to performance and appearance get yourself a nice 19" Samsung with .20 dpi horiz and .24 diagnal DPI. Should run around $300. I've got the 17" model.

[quote author=cloverm link=board=3;threadid=5033;start=0#50015 date=1032393489]
    I'm very happy with the Viewsonic VG171b.
    [/quote]
    A friend of mine owns 2 of those. As far as LCD's go you can't go wrong with that one.

I'll have to agree with ASCI_blue on this one. I'd personally go with a good 19" CRT unless you don't have the space. You save money, and I don't even think they perform better than a good quality CRT, but correct me if I'm wrong. They just look cool, but aren't yet woth the extra money.

Dswissmiss