Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How to check group membership

Thread: How to check group membership

Good Guru

How to check group membership

My distro: Debian Woody with no X.

How can I check

1. What users belongs to the given group?

2. what a given user belongs to what groups?

TIA ....

Re:How to check group membership

cat /etc/group ???

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=12;threadid=5150;start=0#50942 date=1033305514]
    1. What users belongs to the given group?
    [/quote]
    do what prae said!

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=12;threadid=5150;start=0#50942 date=1033305514]
    2. what a given user belongs to what groups?
    [/quote]
    #1 should do it this will also do it groups username

Good Guru

Nah, this will show all the group. I want a specific group and result be displayed.

For example, if I want for the group named "web" then I want the program to show the IDs that belongs to the group "web". Cat /etc/group will show ALL of the groups which is not very useful and too much work to filter it through.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=12;threadid=5150;start=0#50991 date=1033370676]
    Nah, this will show all the group. I want a specific group and result be displayed.

For example, if I want for the group named "web" then I want the program to show the IDs that belongs to the group "web". Cat /etc/group will show ALL of the groups which is not very useful and too much work to filter it through.
    [/quote]

what about grep "idnumberofgroup" /etc/passwd /etc/group ? that should print everything from the password file as well as from the group file.

Good Guru

well, doesnt kde have kuser, that can graphically do what you want. It allows you to use a pulldown IIRC to choose the group or you can quick look it up in the list and change it accordingly. Its a thought if you dont wanna do a bunch of commands to get it done.

Good Guru

[quote author=Schotty link=board=12;threadid=5150;start=0#51066 date=1033446718]
    well, doesnt kde have kuser, that can graphically do what you want.
    [/quote]
    Yes it does. And Gnome have User Manager tool but as I said in my first post, that system have no X running .....

Good Guru

[quote author=gorn link=board=12;threadid=5150;start=0#51061 date=1033446078]
    what about grep "idnumberofgroup" /etc/passwd /etc/group ? that should print everything from the password file as well as from the group file.
    [/quote]
    Yeah, this works pretty good. Instead of idnumberofgroup, the nameofgroup work as well ...

Thanks.