Thread: where did KDE go?

where did KDE go?

I've only been using linux for a bit over a week now, so please excuse the vagueness of this question. I upgraded from mandrake 8.2 to 9.0 last night, played arround with it, then rebooted the comp. Now all i get after lilo is a command prompt for my username and password. After I enter those, and I either try to type "startx" or "kde" at the shell prompt, I get an error message :

XFree86 version 4.2.1 /x window system
    (then some download information on xfree)

(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) No devices found

Fatal server error: no screens found

Any ideas? Do I have to reinstall mandy, or is it something much simpler...btw, I think I opted to start Xfree86 at boot up in the control center.

thank you
    Dswissmiss ???

Re:where did KDE go?

hello,
    soudns like the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 got messed up, try running drakeX to fix it, if that fails try using xf86config

your XFree86 was likely upgraded too and for some reason your XF86Config-4 file was purged. You will likely have to reconfigure x or just manually edit the file to look like it did before. If you install nvidia drivers you may have to reinstall those too.

Advisor

[quote author=Dswissmiss link=board=6;threadid=5145;start=0#50888 date=1033235304]
    (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
    (EE) No devices found
    [/quote]
    You're running with the glx driver from XFree or from NVIDIA ? if it's the later, then just get the NVIDIA_kernel source, and run a 'make install' and a 'depmod -a', then you should be all good again.