Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
package.rpm vs package.src.rpm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: package.rpm vs package.src.rpm

package.rpm vs package.src.rpm

I use SuSE and I can install lots of proggys with rpm program. But I can't find (no time to search) fo explanation of whats the difference between the mentioned two. Since I did a fresh install of SuSE9.1 on a laptop I can't find a let's say DVD enabled xine for it. xine (playin' DVD movices) rpm package for SuSE9 is up and running well on a desktop machine.

What's the difference between src.rpm and .rpm???

okay, src.rpm's got source to recompile. Where and how do i find the sources to install the progg???

I dont remember the details but I read about it once when I was usind a rpm based distro. Just do a google or look on the Red Hat site. It will be very easy to find your answer on google.

Mike
    NOBODY reads my email
    then who would want to anyway

Found a great explanation:

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-mi...nia-srpms.html

tnx anyway.

Why use rpms at all when there is .deb! Seriously, if you like to install lots of software of the net, then get a debian distro and just type apt-get install "program name" and then the program is downloaded, fulfills package dependencies, and installs + configures it for your system. Believe me, it is much easier, I used RPM based distros (Mandrake, then Fedora Core) and apt-get is the best thing since sliced bread!
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Why use debian when you can use gentoo

'emerge [app of choice]'

and blam---Downloads all the source, compiles it with your specific compiler optimizations (CFLAGS) and installs it.

For the sake of sosunding redundant:

Why not use Slackware (we all know it's the best!! :twisted: )

Code:
    swaret --install foo
    :wink: :wink:

Jamie

hehe

Well it's just a thing of what distro I like. The first distro that really worked for me was SuSE. And I just got stuck with it. I did try RH9, Mandrake9x, Gentoo2004.0, Feodra (I guess that's it). But I still stick with SuSE for I have lots of work to do and not that much time to tweak the system configuring .conf files. Maybe in the summer I'll take a week off and dive in my computer and laptop. I think I'll have to because some useless things don't work on my DeLL inspiron 8200 (like suspend :?).

I didn't really enjoy my Gentoo experience. Had to wait 3 or was it 4 days to login and don't ask me how many times I had to start the installation from scratch because of stupid type-os' or miseed a kernel option/module. :|
    Also had problems emerging apache+php to work together and that really turned my head away.

Never really liked RH nor Fedora or Mandrake for that matter. I had more trouble finding config files on these distros than SuSE which I use.

SuSE is not a perfect distro for me. Still when I choose to install KDE it installs lots of programs I don't need but hey, I can still uninstall them later the using YaST (painless). SuSE does have a LOT of programs prepared on the CD's/DVD and I rarely had problems installing programs from source (which was not possible with other distros (except Gentoo) out of the box.

I still have to try Slack. We'll see. Someday maybe.

l8r.

If you didn't go to the link posted above, let's amke this simple:
    source rpms don't install programs, they install source. Then you have to compile the program from the installed source. Unless you're going to edit the config files included with the src-rpm, you're going to get a finished program identical to the binary (regular old) rpm. It'll just take longer to get it. Source code is swell, but only if you use configurations that make it better suited to your machine than a binary would be. Honestly, myy gcc version whatever is the same as your gcc of the same version number. Unless you set some make options to use your system's specific processor, or some other speed-enhancing options, you're gonna end up with a generic i386, i486, i586, i686 build compiled whatever way the person releasing the package shipped it. Don't pounce on me about the superiority of source, you'll be preaching to the choir. This post is written on a Gentoo unstable install. I like source. I just don't think people realize that binaries all get built from source. If you don't change the way you compile source from the author's defaults, you might as well use a binary... probably about half an hour earlier. If you're compiling something like KDE, you could have installed the binaries and tweaked a running KDE to work better for you a day before your build even finishes.

Two other quickies.
    jme (moderator?) How about having the distro plugs move to the appropriate thread?
    Oceansurf-- have you checked out any of the other epositories for suse?
    I've had good luck with a couple I found links to on www.pclinuxonline.com .
    http://packman.links2linux.org/ has some multimedia and file-sharing stuff Suse doesn't include, as does http://guru.linuxbe.org/rpm/
    My wife's computer is running Suse-9.1 Pro because it is so easy to maintain.