Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandy 9 VS. RH 8

Kind Mastermind

Re:Mandy 9 VS. RH 8

[quote author=cj171 link=board=7;threadid=5131;start=0#50821 date=1033154970]
    sounds good so far...but whats this about slack9? i use slack...whats gonna be new and is it gonna really be that good?
    -CJ
    [/quote]

Basically, slack 9 uses the latest stable gcc to compile everything with. Thus it will be faster than slack 8.x. Think of it as in the same category as rh8/lm9. If you like slack 8, you should love slack 9. And it has updated packages.

Slack is still where it's at (sorry for the shameless plug )!

[quote author=Schotty link=board=7;threadid=5131;start=0#50799 date=1033135950]
    I havent burnt MDK 9, so I am opionless, other than the fact that Null kicks ass bigtime. I am running that on my main box at home. ,,,[/quote]
    okay, thats a good enuf recommendation for me, now i want
    RH 8

I have always been a Mandy fan and I'm downloading Mandy 9.0 right now. Looking forward to upgrading to all the latest stuff.

Whatever else you might think of Mandy, they're always the first with new releases incorporating the latest and greatest stuff.

Go drake! Seriously drake 9 is real damn good, and real damn fast compared to any of the 8.x releases. I highly recommend it

from the reviews i been readin...sounds like RH8 is good and all, but mandy has a few more features and is a little more polished
    -CJ

Good Guru

Well, I cant say anything that Rick hasnt about Mandrake -- he is about as staunch a mandrake supporter as I am for RedHat, but I would presume that Mandrake 9 is pretty polished over by now. The 8.xx series didnt impress me, but from what I hear, alot of the rough edges and speed issues have been really worked on hard.

That aside, RH8 is great, but there is alot more new tools that may not interest a few. Most notably are the newer wizards for doing basic adminning -- takes the UNIX feel out a bit. But from my point of view, they speed up the tasks of adminning so much that I dont care anymore. The new log viewer rocks, as does the add/remove software. I suggest d/l and trying it if you can.

try Mandrake out too. Cant bash or dislike what you havent tried. They both have fan groups, and that says alot. You cant have massive followings like RH and MDK each have without a high degree of quality.

You know I am a HUGE drake supporter, But I will be trying out RH8 after the mirrors calm down, I gotta try it before i give Mandrake Distro of the Year. I mean RH is the only thign that even is on the same playign field as Mandrake as far as Im concerned. And without RH drake wouldnt be where it is now.....BUT, I really like QT ALOT better then GTK and sadly RH doesnt seem to at all. I mean can anyone honestly tell me that Gnome 2 is more polished, has more features, is more user friendly than KDE3?

But i wanna see this combined desktop thing RH has done, Im not liking it so far, but I gotta use it to give a real opinion......Although I SERIOUSLY doubt it'll switch me over

Good Guru

[quote author=rick420 link=board=7;threadid=5131;start=0#51091 date=1033481414]
    BUT, I really like QT ALOT better then GTK and sadly RH doesnt seem to at all. I mean can anyone honestly tell me that Gnome 2 is more polished, has more features, is more user friendly than KDE3?
    [/quote]

Yes, I will. I even compiled from source the latest KDE at the time (3.02 or whatever, it was like tw revisions better than the one RH shipped with). I cant say I like it for all day use. GNOME2 after getting it setup right (I hate the normal installation) works beatiful. I am glad however that I dont need to do all this bullshit more than once a year. Most distros ship recent DE's. And thank God.

Well, I dl rh8 yesterday and tried it. 2nite, i am dling mandy 9. I will give it a try and go from there.