Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandy 9 VS. RH 8

Mandy 9 VS. RH 8

Ok, begin round 1..*ding*...which is the better distro? hopefully you guys have tried them or at least one and can tell me and everyone else whos been waiting for these two major releases which we should get ;D
    -CJ

Re:Mandy 9 VS. RH 8

I usually like Red Hat over Mandrake but am warry this time around with Berro calling Red Hat 8.0 'cripple-ware' in terms of it's desktop stuff.

Kind Mastermind

I am more of a Mandy fan, myself. RH is usually very good (just ask Schotty ). As for the cripple-ware accusation...I don't put much stock in it. You can always get around the modifications, if you want to.

Of course, I'd being willing to d/l and install LM9 if it wasn't for the fact that Slack 9 is coming out soon. Slack has my heart.

Good Guru

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=7;threadid=5131;start=0#50784 date=1033098227]
    I am more of a Mandy fan, myself. RH is usually very good (just ask Schotty ).
    [/quote]

Yeah, ask me

As for the cripple-ware accusation...I don't put much stock in it. You can always get around the modifications, if you want to.
    The modification is heavy, but does this -- makes one similar looking environment (by default, it can all be made to look like the normal GNOME or KDE should you prefer), unifies the KDE and GNOME menus, and makes the icons identical. The kicker has been redone so that regardless of what DE, your kicker will run GTK and QT apps equally well (assuming that the code is good - like KDE supplied ones). As well as making the default themes show the same colors for this and that.

In the end, its amazing. I personally (as many already know) prefer GNOME, but nontheless, having to putz with two configurations to make both KDE and GNOME look good, much less the same is a pain.

Thanks RedHat for saving me the time of having to do it

I havent burnt MDK 9, so I am opionless, other than the fact that Null kicks ass bigtime. I am running that on my main box at home. I am debating putting MDK 9 on here at work ...

Good Guru

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=7;threadid=5131;start=0#50782 date=1033097704]
    I usually like Red Hat over Mandrake but am warry this time around with Berro calling Red Hat 8.0 'cripple-ware' in terms of it's desktop stuff.
    [/quote]

Its definitely not cripple ware. If yopu arent in the mood to redo your box, use vmware and do a minimal install with just the basic kde/gnome stuff and see.

hey schotty,
    what is NULL ?

sounds good so far...but whats this about slack9? i use slack...whats gonna be new and is it gonna really be that good?
    -CJ

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=7;threadid=5131;start=0#50808 date=1033142888]
    hey schotty,
    what is NULL ?
    [/quote]

RH8 beta

It is pretty damn nice. The only bug I found was my DVD drive caused the CPU to go near 95% when copying data. I assume that would be fixed in 8.0.

Besides that, I pretty much (assuming of course) have a RH8 install. The new tools are REALLY nice, like the Add/Remove programs -- as easy now as Windowa to remove one app. Not quite ass idiotized as Windows, but pretty damn close for a linux distro!

for RH8 not officaially being out yet...ive heard a lot more about it than mandy....however, im still lookin at mandy since i used it once and did enjoy it...c'mon someone whos tried mandy 9...give us your side...
    -CJ

neither