Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Dial-up questions

Thread: Dial-up questions

Hybrid View

Dial-up questions

I am setting this machine for dial-up and internet sharing. Has a Conexant HSF and I got it to dial and connect (I think...). An ifconfig ppp0 shows me an ip. However, I had this machine connected to my lan, and it was getting an ip from the lan. When I give it to the person who is having it, she will be soing dial-up and internet sharing through eth0.
    Now, Although i get an ip, i can't ping or connect to anything. I think it is confused on what connection to use. I want to leave the eth0 for local connections only, and connect to the net by ppp0. I think it is trying to use the local ip to connect to the net.
    Help, please? :'(

Re:Dial-up questions

do a route and see what it has listed for the default gateway. I had a problem before where I connect to the internet with ppp0, and use eth0 for my network, and it was trying to use eth0 as the gw. Also make sure you have a dns setup or an ip for one.

How do I know what interface it is trying to use as gateway?

Good Guru

Use "route" command and see what your kernel routing table looks like and what it set for your connection as gateway.

If I connect to the net through ppp0, and eth0 would be my lan card, and I would get all my settings for ppp0 through the isp's dns, what do I have to set for eth0 in the gateway line? also, do I have to set a dns server ip address on eth0?

Ok, here is the deal:

I was getting some errors trying to use iptables to do the NATting, then realized that the default firewalls rules are ipchains, and you can't have both running at the same time.
    Now, I want to keep these ipchains rules, since I don't know how to make a script for IPTABLES for firewalling. I went here http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Lin...rkGateway.html and found this little thing:

#!/bin/sh
    ipchains -F forward - Flush all previous rules and settings
    ipchains -P forward DENY - Default set to deny packet forwarding
    ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.10.0/24 -j MASQ - Use IP address of gateway for private network
    ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j MASQ - Sets up external internet connection
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward - Enables packet forwarding by kernel

How does the computer knows that eth0 will be the one receving and forwarding the packets to ppp0?
    Also, I don't have ppp0 set up to come up at boot time, so I don't think it will find ppp0 when the script runs at boottime. Will this be a problem?
    Alsothe first line that will flush out all other chain rules, does this means i will remove the firewall configuration?

Ok, this is my status:

I ran that script after bringing up ppp0. On the client computer (windows), I can ping the linux box, and I can ping ip addresses out into the internet. However, I am getting no DNS resolution (no webpages load, cannot pint by name). However, I made sure I set up the DNS servers of the ISP on the windows box. These I can ping with no problem. Still no DNS resolution...
    Any ideas?

I ended up getting rid of the ipchains script, and used a mix of the PET's internet sharing script and Ralinx's. (IPTABLES) Now it is working fine.
    But now I have to find a decent iptables firewall that will allow ssh to come in. Anyone has a suggestion?
    Also, since I am not bringing up ppp0 on bootup, I have to run the NAT script after connecting to the net, or it won't find ppp0. Anyone has an idea on how to automate?
    This is what the script looks like:

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward