Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which versions of g++ and gcc are better?

Which versions of g++ and gcc are better?

Right now I'm using the debian default which is version 2.95, but I was wondering if there are any advantages of upgrading to version 3.2.

Mike

Re:Which versions of g++ and gcc are better?

hello,
    do ya do alot of compiling? if so then maybe, if not then no.

Mentor

From what I know is that programs compiled with 3.2 run somewhat faster, however there are some compatibility issues. Some older code will not compile without hacking the source code.

[quote author=cloverm link=board=2;threadid=5124;start=0#50746 date=1033059850]
    From what I know is that programs compiled with 3.2 run somewhat faster, however there are some compatibility issues. Some older code will not compile without hacking the source code.
    [/quote]
    And AFAIK all the programs has to been compiled with 3.2 because some binary incompatibility with older versions of gcc

well i have been using gcc 3.2 for a few weeks now and have no complaints all of the packages I made for Arch Linux compiled just fine with gcc 3.2. It does not always compile as fast as gcc 2.95.x but it does compile cleaner code. Some things, such as mozilla, have had improvements others are just the same.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with the old version for now, since I only compile packages when I can't find a .deb, which isn't very often.

Mike

[quote author=Sarah31 link=board=2;threadid=5124;start=0#50762 date=1033076978]
    well i have been using gcc 3.2 for a few weeks now and have no complaints all of the packages I made for Arch Linux compiled just fine with gcc 3.2. It does not always compile as fast as gcc 2.95.x but it does compile cleaner code. Some things, such as mozilla, have had improvements others are just the same.
    [/quote]

Would gcc 3.2 yield a more optimized 2.4.19 kernel than 2.95? (Assuming that I'm building it for a specific processor >Pentium1.)

one would think so. mind you using gcc 3.2 on debian would seem a little impractical unless you recompile all of your packages. this would give you the most optimized system.

All i know is drake 9 is gcc 3.2 based and its alot faster than 8.2 was with 2.96.

Good Guru

From what I understand, gcc3.1 had bakcward compatibility issues so 3.2 was the fix. Gcc 3 was a major code optimization revamp. Essentailly it does better object prelinking and blah blah blah. In the user's eys it is faster code merely, but from what I understand, cleaner binaries as well.

Also, from what I feel from usage -- the 2.96 gcc is a little ... weird when it comes down to it. I got alot of oddities when using compiling code on this system, whereas the null beta doesnt ahve these same issues. Odd app crashing and such are what I am talking about, crazy mem usage problems.

Then again it could just be me.