Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballmer: United, we'll stomp on Linux

Ballmer: United, we'll stomp on Linux

Re:Ballmer: United, we'll stomp on Linux

What was this guy thinking? I wonder if they have any real plan or if this is just talk?

ya know - that article is very cool.

what did linus say - 1st they ignore, then they laugh at us, then they attack us, then we win... some thing like that.

Good Guru

All FUD aside, Ballmer is mostly right. I think that selling office for linux would be a win/win. You have both markets, and the one that hurts you the most for taking sales of office away, now is giving you sales.

But as far as the rest. In all reality its a common sense move for MS. They need to add value. In their case, better features and more reliability. The second being vastly improved over win95. XP is far superior to 95 IMHO. The only diff between XP and linux is the minimum hardware to an actual usable system.

As much as I dislike their products, I have to acknolwedge the fact they are present and a force. In the case here, its a good move for them.

schotty, did you read the same article as i did?

Good Guru

Yes, why? Ballmer is going after OSS with "More feature rich" (or however the hell he put it) products that will outperform the Linux counterpart. To me that is a common sense approach.

ahh - i see. i thought you meant he was talking about putting office (i.e. MS office) on linux.

Good Guru

Ya know after reading my firt post here, you had a good point. IT was a bit .... misworded to say the least. I mean, that the point that they made about NEVER making Linux software was bad, and that they could have a win win situation. Of course the rest of the article made sense, for my above reasons.

Better now

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=5104;start=0#50636 date=1032912129]
    All FUD aside, Ballmer is mostly right. I think that selling office for linux would be a win/win. You have both markets, and the one that hurts you the most for taking sales of office away, now is giving you sales.
    [/quote]
    yeah, i would like to see "office 2000 for linux"
    but when Steve Ballmer was asked if theyre going to sell applications for linux, said no, because of legal liability !?
    i hope he'll change his mind on that one.
    The only diff between XP and linux is the minimum hardware to an actual usable system.
    LOL ! yes, xp and linux are almost identical in every way.
    i havent noticed any difference. ;D

Good Guru

[quote author=capybara link=board=13;threadid=5104;start=0#50887 date=1033235017]
    yeah, i would like to see "office 2000 for linux"
    but when Steve Ballmer was asked if theyre going to sell applications for linux, said no, because of legal liability !?
    i hope he'll change his mind on that one.
    The only diff between XP and linux is the minimum hardware to an actual usable system.
    LOL ! yes, xp and linux are almost identical in every way.
    i havent noticed any difference. ;D
    [/quote]

I would think that it would mean alot of good for the computer industry. Either that, or liscence the file format. Surre that would mean closed source chunks of the ofice suites, but I would be willing to pay for full functionality over free partial usability.

As for the XP/Linux difference -- In case you didnt know here are a few FACTS about NT.

-->Bastardized BSD network stack
    -->Wannabe UNIX kernel. Its rather pathetic attempt, but alot of similarities are present
    -->Supports real multitasking and process priority
    -->Usable (barely) for servers on bigger scale

If it wasnt for the half ass work -- NT 4, would have been where XP is now, and all of the improvements that Linux has reaped the benefit from would be present as well.

The point you should be making is that where XP falters, Linux keeps on chugging along. From what I have seen, the feature sets are not that far apart from each other. Alot of the "New" features in XP are clones of what Linux has had for some time. Like VNC -- aka Remote Desktop.