Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Setting up SSH
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up SSH

Setting up SSH

Ok, I am planning on setting up SSH on this box I am making for my friend. SO, following Schotty's suggestion, I will set up SSH so I can help her should she have problems with it.
    I have some questions (I haven't sone anything yet):
    1. How do I deny root the ability to log on through SSH?
    2. I guess I would need to make an account for me in there and add it to wheel. Am I correct?

Re:Setting up SSH

not sure on item 1, on item two you should just be able to make yourself an account on the machine, i have never worried about special groups for ssh.

Thanks. Schotty suggested that, and I guess it was a good idea, in case the root password gets out somehow.

well for me redhat has it such that root can't ssh in only regular users can, i am not usre how it acomplishes this though.

Good Guru

Well, remote log on is disabled by default in many implementation of SSH through "PermitRemoteLogin yes" features in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file. If you want to permit it, you need to uncomment it. Since you do NOT want it, just leave it alone and you will do fine.

And yes, you need to create an account for you to be able to log in. When you need root access, just sudo it.

If the root password gets out, you box is screwed. There is no way to secure a box if the root password is out.

I wish I could load Red Hat on that machine :/

I tried a couple of times, and I get two errors:

1. First is the grub boot error I told you before. If I use lilo, it works fine.

2. X won't start. The mb is an Asus A7v266-vm with an Nforce Chpset and integrated GeForce 2 . In Slack, I can compile the drivers from Nvidia site, and it works fine. But in red Hat, I install the rpm's for the drivers, and I get the network card to work, but X, when invoked, will just hang at a black screen and force me to reboot, because it won't even allow me to switch consoles. Won't work even with the vesa driver.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=2;threadid=5099;start=0#50589 date=1032881491]
    Well, remote log on is disabled by default in many implementation of SSH through "PermitRemoteLogin yes" features in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.[/quote]

If I do that, will it allow the account I made to do SSH to this computer from a remote computer?

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=5099;start=0#50581 date=1032873735]
    Ok, I am planning on setting up SSH on this box I am making for my friend. SO, following Schotty's suggestion, I will set up SSH so I can help her should she have problems with it.
    I have some questions (I haven't sone anything yet):
    1. How do I deny root the ability to log on through SSH?
    2. I guess I would need to make an account for me in there and add it to wheel. Am I correct?
    [/quote]

1) For openbsd, the confs are in the /etc dir
    for redhat the confs are in the /etc/ssh dir

I would assume whatever flavor you intend to use would be either the same as one of the above, or VERY close.

Now once you find the confs, you will need to wad thru the sshd conf

Code:
    # Authentication:

#LoginGraceTime 600
    #PermitRootLogin yes
    #StrictModes yes
    See the commented PermitRootLogin. If you have it like mine, root cant ssh in. I personally reccomend making a user acct, and using sudo to gain root priveledges. It works the best.

2) Yes

As for your other q's

the X11 issue, is common, and easily avoided. You need to goto nVIDIA's site, and look at the readme/faq regarding driver installs. There are several lines that are REMOVED (dri, and one other) GLX needs to be there IIRC, and change the driver to nvidia, instead of the generic nv driver. Then you should be fine. The rpms dont parse and edit the XFree86Config-4 file for ya.

I know. I did that, and also tried using the XF86Config file that was working in Slack.

Good Guru

use the tarballs then. That should work better anyhow, since teh one part that could go wrong is being compiled.