Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Quick Question(s)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Question(s)

Kind Mastermind

Quick Question(s)

Alright guys (and gals), I have six months to get my affairs in order before I ship out for Korea (frowns, I hate the thought of leaving my family for a year. Frowns some more). My question to y'all is this:

What one Linux book would you take with you if all you could take is one Linux book?

And, as a bonus question, which distro would you use if you were pretty certain that you wouldn't have personal internet connectivity. It would have to be pretty rock solid stable and contain some great, up-to-date software.

Cheers and thanks for the inputs.

Re:Quick Question(s)

Do you even have to ask about the distro?

Hey Stryder,
    Good Questions

For me it would be, Book: "Linux Firewalls" 2nd edition
    Distro: RedHat

Cheers,

Stix

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=trickster link=board=17;threadid=5082;start=0#50383 date=1032626437]
    Do you even have to ask about the distro?

[/quote]

No, actually, I didn't. I just was curious to see which distros people would choose. Of course, once Slack 9 goes gold I think that I will have to update my Slack8 box.

Good Guru

Well, MS-Windows XP of course. It gives you the 25/8/367 "hobby" of repairing it.

If you want something different, try a new distro that others have recoomended. Liek Arch seems to be popular, or even FreeBSD. Or the all holy, uber sacred, gods gift to mankind --- RedHat 8. Yes it will be here shortly, and by the time you ship out, 8.1 may be gold as well. Your computer will thank you. Yes, it wil....

Mentor

mandrake 8.0

the complete reference Linux 4th edition. It covers Redhat, caldera, suse.

And it's also 1200 pages, that should last a long time. osborne books isbn # 0-07-212940-9

Debian Woody.

You can install that and have a rock-solid Linux distro on your computer.

It's also very secure, bug free, and it comes with 7 cd-roms of software. Very l33t.

Of course, it's already kinda behind the times as far as some software is concerned, but hey, would you really want something that's buggy like RedHat, or something that doesn't play nice with KDE like FreeBSD? (Although some r33t h4x0rZ will tell you that only fools, halfwits, and lobotomized eunuchs have KDE and GNOME installed on their computers...)

I tend to consider Debian the OpenBSD of the Linux world, except that unlike OpenBSD, the packages are somewhat current and the base OS (Linux) supports more software.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=boblucci link=board=17;threadid=5082;start=0#50402 date=1032633663]
    mandrake 8.0

the complete reference Linux 4th edition. It covers Redhat, caldera, suse.

And it's also 1200 pages, that should last a long time. osborne books isbn # 0-07-212940-9
    [/quote]

I think I have that book! Either that or I have the third edition. I'll have to check later when I get home. As for MD8, I have that too (thanks Ashcrow!). Very reasonable suggestions.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Schotty link=board=17;threadid=5082;start=0#50397 date=1032630553]
    Well, MS-Windows XP of course. It gives you the 25/8/367 "hobby" of repairing it.

If you want something different, try a new distro that others have recoomended. Liek Arch seems to be popular, or even FreeBSD. Or the all holy, uber sacred, gods gift to mankind --- RedHat 8. Yes it will be here shortly, and by the time you ship out, 8.1 may be gold as well. Your computer will thank you. Yes, it wil....
    [/quote]

Very nicely done! Unfortunately, I must, for work related reasons, have windows on my puter. Fortunately, it will be Win98SE. This also gives me the opportunity to still run several of my fav dos games without any problems (until I figure out the dosemu thing).

I thought about d/l RH8. Arch seems good, but I am having a problem with actually getting it to install (before anyone asks, I am not giving up on it yet. I just need to get on the Arch forum and ask them some questions/give them the error message).

[quote author=Prince Myshkin link=board=17;threadid=5082;start=0#50404 date=1032634962]
    Debian Woody.
    Of course, it's already kinda behind the times as far as some software is concerned, but hey, would you really want something that's buggy like RedHat, or something that doesn't play nice with KDE like FreeBSD? (Although some r33t h4x0rZ will tell you that only fools, halfwits, and lobotomized eunuchs have KDE and GNOME installed on their computers...)
    [/quote]

I have both KDE and Gnome (at least the libs) installed and I've never had a problem, except with sound. I think you just suck.