Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
Debian update problem! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debian update problem!

Thanks very much for that kungfuramone9! That is just what I needed 'cause Debian doesn't have packages like Lame! Oh, and good luck to Fatal Error!
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

beezlebubsbum, which debian track do you want to follow? I'm asking because you have sources for stable, testing and unstable all included in your list. Unless you have "pinned" a particular version, you're introducing the possibility of a lot of dependency issues. You see, if you don't tell debian to track testing or unstable as the preferred version, it's gonna default to stable first, and most packages in testing and unstable won't compile against the stable base. Comment out all but one release in your list, and try again. A couple of ideas for you:
    1. Check out www.apt-get.org They have a huge listing of apt repositories.
    2. If you want to run the debian-stable core, but want some newer packages, you'll find some repositories listed at apt-get.org called "backports". Now, backports aren't always super effective, but they'll give you a way to upgrade some things that stable won't let you use.
    3. The first time you run apt-get, you have to run apt-get update, so that apt can retrieve the latest package lists from the repositories in your sources.list file. Are you running apt in a terminal, or are you using synaptic? Synaptic has an "update" button... I may be wrong on the naming of that button, I'm writing from a Gentoo install at the moment, so I can't actually open Synaptic and look, but its the big button at the far left of the tool bar. Whichever way you're updating, watch the progress, and read any messages at the end. Watching the process will tell you how fast the connection to the server in your sources.list file is. Sometimes just moving to a mirror in another location will get you a better connection speed. If you get errors on a mirror, check them out. When apt is scanning a repository, it's looking for files named packages and release. Not every mirror actually has both those files. If a mirror fails on one, but not the other, you'll probably be okay. If it fails on both, you won't be getting anything from that mirror, as apt isn't like ftp--it won't scan the contents of the directories, it just looks for the list files and copies them to your local machine.
    4. If apt fails while you're still downloading files, issue the command,as su:
    apt-get -f install. This is designed to fix errors in the installation process. If it doesn't work, read the errors and correct them, or post them here and we'll help you.
    5. If apt fails after it has started the actual installation of files, issue the command, again as su: dpkg --configure -a This command tells dpkg, the program that actually installs programs for apt, to configure all the pending packages in the cache.
    6. If you run dpkg --configure -a , and it doesn't install all the packages you think it was supposed to, issue the command (su) dpkg -i -E -G -R /var/cache/apt/archives .
    dpkg -i tells dpkg to install something. The -E and -G tell dpkg to ingnore packages that are already installed, or packages that you have a newer version of installed. The -R means "recursive, and tells dpkg to install all the .deb's it finds in that directory, in this case, /var/cache/apt/archives, which is where apt stores the files you download.

If you're trying to do a distribution upgrade and dpkg keeps returning conflict messages and failing, you can try, at your own risk (su) dpkg -i --force all -E -G -R /var/cache/apt/archives. That'll tell dpkg to "make it happen"! If the reason for all the errors is that you have other versions of the same packages installed, this will fix that problem. If you had another problem going on, it won't, and can leave your install "hosed". Force is only a good idea when you're sure the problem is a conflict with an older installed version of a a pckage.

I assume you Knoppix users know there are some other "Knoppix-like" distros available? If you're not thrilled with Knoppix, but like being able to test drive the distro before you install, you have options. If anyone's interested, I'll post a few links, or you can look for my other posts. I know I've already linked Kanotix and Mepis. Otherwise, look for DistroDawg's Guide To Live C.D. Enjoyment, coming on or near June 8th, right after DistroDawgs Guide To Selecting A Linux Distro, which I expect to post on Sunday, June 6th.