Thread: Free NAT routing for...

Free NAT routing for...

Ok don't kill me guys... as I will be setting this up in Linux too... but I can't be in Linux all the time *cough*Wife*cough*

I also don't know if this is the appropriate place for this so move it where you deem necesary moderators.

Anyway I have stated my situation before... But here it is again... I have road runner and have managed to scrounge up the hardware (NIC cards, hub and cable) from previous endevours of mine to share the connection. Now the problem is that I would like the option of being able to play StarCraft (for example) on my laptop, so that eliminates proxy routing as far as I have understood in my readings so far. So now I want to do NAT routing but I absolutely cannot afford to pay for it... So does anyone out there know of some free NAT routing software that I can use for windows.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Good Guru

Re:Free NAT routing for...

[quote author=mcdougrs link=board=4;threadid=5071;start=0#50314 date=1032561123]
    So now I want to do NAT routing but I absolutely cannot afford to pay for it... So does anyone out there know of some free NAT routing software that I can use for windows.

PLEASE HELP!!!
    [/quote]

Is this a dedicated box? If so use Linux + Nat modules or OpenBSD. OpenBSD is far easier to setup IMHO. But to each their own. If its not dedicated, you could add this to your existing Linux box and use it as a NAT server and workstation (Linux does multitask)

It unfortunately is not a dedicated box... I will be in windows most of the time and in Linux only for developement type stuff and of course to play around.

Good Guru

Well for windows, the only thing I ever used was Windows NT M$ Proxy. It sucked, it was a pain, and really isnt all that great. I am, sure a winderz guy could help you out there then. You can get for ~$80 a pretty damn nice 4-port gateway from Best Buy or CompUSA or whatever the equivalents are in your area. That may be the easiest way. Single port ones are a tad bit cheaper, if you already own a hub.

Good Guru

You didn't say what version of Windows ....

Win2K Pro does that out of the box ..... All you need is two NICs and enable ICS ( Internet Connection Sharing ).

Good Guru

Thanks compunuts. I am not a guru with 2k or XP. I didnt know that one.

Ooopps sorry about that... The router is a WinME/RH7.3 box and the client is a Win98SE Compaq Laptop

And I was trying to get away from the ICS because I heard that it didn't support gaming on the clients, but if you other information on that please share with me.

And I was trying to get away from the ICS because I heard that it didn't support gaming on the clients, but if you other information on that please share with me.
    Take a look here. I don't see any specific *.ics config but if you look through a few of them, you should be able to modify one to open the aproproiate ports through ICS.

EDIT: Just done some more digging. These are the games which have *.ics config files. Hopefully the ones you need are included.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I believe that should do it! I've got web conectivity up on my laptop now (windows only for now, linux coming soon I hope) I will try those game links in a little bit... It didn't have my specific game, StarCraft BroodWars, but it has Diablo II so I think that I will be able to change it a around a little bit to enable SC