Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard disk space

Hybrid View

Hard disk space

On this computer I am setting up, I have a 20gb hard drive, and a smaller 4 gb hard drive. I am using this smaller one only to keep multimedia files, and there are no system files on it. It is almost full. (56mb left)
    Would the drive space give me any problems with my system?

Re:Hard disk space

hey trickster,
    yea! especially if it is /var where you logs, mail and stuff is kept and also /tmp - if a proggie cna't write what it wants to these areas things can get messy.

That is what I thought at first, but right now it is just mounted as /fun, so no system files. Would reading the videos and music files create temp files on that drive?

doh!! i am sorry, i missread it - i thought the system was on the drive with only 56MB left. should be no problem.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=trickster link=board=3;threadid=5035;start=0#50019 date=1032394390]
    That is what I thought at first, but right now it is just mounted as /fun, so no system files. Would reading the videos and music files create temp files on that drive?
    [/quote]

Like pbharris said, no it won't create temp files on that drive. The system disk will be where the files are created.

ok, that is not so bad.

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=3;threadid=5035;start=0#50003 date=1032391152]
    I am using this smaller one only to keep multimedia files, and there are no system files on it. It is almost full. (56mb left)
    [/quote]
    It should not interfer in any way with your computer usage since it's not hosting any system files nor temp files.

May be your should offer the download of those 4 GB of multimedia files .. ;D to select LJR members ...

exactly what I am thinking.. I actually have the same type of situation... but my upload spead is like 10Kbs which I think is slow for dsl

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=3;threadid=5035;start=0#50144 date=1032452656]
    [quote author=trickster link=board=3;threadid=5035;start=0#50003 date=1032391152]
    I am using this smaller one only to keep multimedia files, and there are no system files on it. It is almost full. (56mb left)
    [/quote]
    It should not interfer in any way with your computer usage since it's not hosting any system files nor temp files.

May be your should offer the download of those 4 GB of multimedia files .. ;D to select LJR members ...
    [/quote]
    I wouldn't mind...I have an older box that could be setup as an ftp server...if I knew how to... :

Good Guru

I would personally reccomend, should you become generous and share stuff, to use ssh. You can add each user into the system, and symlink the shared directories. You are much more secure this way, and have a bit more control.