Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats up with the board ?

Kind Mastermind

Re:Whats up with the board ?

I, for one, will be trying my hardest not to respond to the various controversial posts. I have seen too many people get overly worked up about things. So, I believe that I will no longer have a part to play in that.

Momma always said, "Let a fool be a fool!" Good advise.

[quote author=Bullgooseloony link=board=18;threadid=5024;start=0#49938 date=1032365811]
    Well, at this point, I've just about all the philosophical and religious debates I can handle; these pointless excersizes in wasted bandwidth are offensive, repetitious, self-serving, self-AGRANDIZING, pointless arguments between folks who are probably sincere in their beliefs and others who're just out to start flame-wars; this horseshit has already cost two long-time participants that I regard as a serious loss. I've tried to make my position on this type of argument clear. In the past, I tried to keep it polite, but I've had it. I DON'T think that a forum that's purportedly dedicated to using the Linux operating system should end up with a bunch of self-styled religious experts to argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I'm fairly certian that there are forums dedicated to this type of debate; WHAT IT HAS TO DO WITH LINUX TOTALLY ESCAPES ME! Prosletyzing is one of the most annoying things I know of, Im NOT interested in coming here to hear someone's religious beliefs; I think it's akin to expressing sexual preferences; that's boring and embarassing too! I'm pissed off, offended and sickened by the deterioration of this forum, but I'm not going to leave; all you theological debaters, be warned, I'm a really good troll when I want to be, and I don't have a problem with gettng people angry with me. I've been nice; THAT DOESN'T HAVE TO CONTINUE! Take it where it belongs; this isn't the place.
    [/quote]

I don't mean to nitpick, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but the thread that two people left in response to dealt with politics, not religion.

And it was just one small part of a single post that I would have edited myself if someone had asked me to.

As far as the other religious threads go, I haven't really tried to convert anyone, have I?

I dont think we should do anything. Personally I can live without the opinions section, but as long as people keep actively posting to the other topics, I would leave it be. I'd imagine that in the life span of any board, wars will start, the board will go through periods of stagnation, periods of frequent use (linux use) and so on. I would just let things be as they are. The current poli-religous posts will soon die down. I for one enjoyed jumping into the arguments for the time being. It gave me something to do, as work has been very slow for me over the last week.

I think a new board may not be such a good idea. An anything goes policy means that all discussions would end up in name calling. It would create stress among the users, who would probably be coming here also.
    I remember there being controversial issues discussed before, but I don't remember them escalating to the point they have. And I agree with what many people have said: new threads have been created with the sole purpose of causing a flame war. The poster stands back and watches everyone else flame. I think that the Membership Agreement needs to be enforced inmediately.
    Actually, this is my request for the moderators to take action, to look into these controversial thread's posts, and at least warn the users that seem to be not following the Agreement, (even if I am one of those users. )
    I appreciate the effort Cloverm put on this board, and the effort of al the people who are friendly and helpful here. I learned most of my linux stuff here and I wouldn't like it to go down the drain.

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=18;threadid=5024;start=0#49941 date=1032368224]
    I guess I got caught up in the flaming also. The idea has now become an instituion, so then what was the original idea...that sort of thing seems to be what has happened. I think it would be a good idea to lock all religous/politcal topics as soon as they are started. Put it in the user agreement that these are to be left outside the door, this is neutral territory, for the furthering of linux. If the complain after that, tell em to read the user agreement, if they complain again, kick em. Just me opion though.
    [/quote]
    I agree with this on a not so radical way. I agree with the course of action, except in deleting the threads. I do think they should be moderated. AFAIK, the users don't get mad when arguing over a ligitimate point. They get mad when it evolves into name calling, or arguments made wit the sole purpose of angering others. (Or in my personal case, when it seems you are arguing against a wall. ) I think before taking such as strong measure as deleting those topics, which we all, at some point or another, use to vent frustration or goof around, we should try a stronger moderation and enforcement of the User Agreement.

how about people just not post politics and religion. :P

and if they do, one of you moderators remove it. simple.

this place is awesome when it provides linux material and funny stuff, etc. but when you start topics that can attract the trolls thats when its gotta stop. distro flame wars isnt really an issue, i dont think people should take them seriously because they are in good fun. conversation can be good, you dont need to talk politics and religion. there is no need for it. you want to talk that stuff, go find yourself a political or religious board dont bring it here.

Actually what I think we need to do as users is exert some self control (which I have not been doing lately) and avoid trolls or debates in which no one is right, everything gets out of control and we end up shouting ideology at one another. Really its up to us to make this place home, not the mods or cloverm. Any club (or board) is only as good as its members.

Kind Mastermind

My proposal:

Let's just admit that our political association is: Free software/OSS!

Let's also admit that our religious affiliation is: Linux!

;D

That should stop the debates! We can then get back to more important things, like which is better for you: Debian or Redhat!

That used to work fine. However, it is not working as fine anymore. People are stressed and there are names being called, and things said just ot anger people. It is against the agreement, and it is giving more than one person a hard time. I understand that is part of the mods duty.
    I will put my two cents on trying to stay out of those meaningless arguments. However, there are issues that I feel strongly about, and it is kinda hard to avoid them.

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=18;threadid=5024;start=0#49997 date=1032389353]
    That should stop the debates! We can then get back to more important things, like which is better for you: Debian or Redhat!
    [/quote]

Is there any question? FreeBSD!