Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats up with the board ?

Mentor

Re:Whats up with the board ?

[quote author=boblucci link=board=18;threadid=5024;start=#49923 date=1032362914]
    The moderator would just move the offending thread to it's proper place on the new board.

Clovem i think that is a great idea!
    [/quote]

Actually, there won't be a way of moving posts/threads between the two boards. Offending posts/threads would be locked/deleted on this board.

when did lc and ralinx leave (again)?

Re:Whats up with the board?

Ok, I'm probably the biggest offender of being dragged in by the trolls. But I don't mind as long as people still do remember that this is PRIMARILY a linux board, and that we are here to help one another with linux-related stuff first and foremost. Usually I try to stay out of the religous/political rants, but lately it has been just too tempting to not jump in. My only objection to the recent activity in the opinion's setion is not that it diverts our attention from the many purpose of the baord, but that it raises tension amongst people who are here to give one another a hand.

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=18;threadid=5024;start=0#49930 date=1032364009]
    when did lc and ralinx leave (again)?
    [/quote]

a month ago i think

Well, at this point, I've just about all the philosophical and religious debates I can handle; these pointless excersizes in wasted bandwidth are offensive, repetitious, self-serving, self-AGRANDIZING, pointless arguments between folks who are probably sincere in their beliefs and others who're just out to start flame-wars; this horseshit has already cost two long-time participants that I regard as a serious loss. I've tried to make my position on this type of argument clear. In the past, I tried to keep it polite, but I've had it. I DON'T think that a forum that's purportedly dedicated to using the Linux operating system should end up with a bunch of self-styled religious experts to argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I'm fairly certian that there are forums dedicated to this type of debate; WHAT IT HAS TO DO WITH LINUX TOTALLY ESCAPES ME! Prosletyzing is one of the most annoying things I know of, Im NOT interested in coming here to hear someone's religious beliefs; I think it's akin to expressing sexual preferences; that's boring and embarassing too! I'm pissed off, offended and sickened by the deterioration of this forum, but I'm not going to leave; all you theological debaters, be warned, I'm a really good troll when I want to be, and I don't have a problem with gettng people angry with me. I've been nice; THAT DOESN'T HAVE TO CONTINUE! Take it where it belongs; this isn't the place.

really it is getting quite boring. i have been sucked in a bit because it seems very one sided i have much better things to do with my time.

also i know i will not hesitate to warn, move, close or what ever a post in an area i mod if it is warrented. fortunately there really is very little of that stuff going on.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=18;threadid=5024;start=0#49939 date=1032366951]
    really it is getting quite boring. i have been sucked in a bit because it seems very one sided i have much better things to do with my time.

also i know i will not hesitate to warn, move, close or what ever a post in an area i mod if it is warrented. fortunately there really is very little of that stuff going on.

[/quote]YOU Da' Man!!!

I guess I got caught up in the flaming also. The idea has now become an instituion, so then what was the original idea...that sort of thing seems to be what has happened. I think it would be a good idea to lock all religous/politcal topics as soon as they are started. Put it in the user agreement that these are to be left outside the door, this is neutral territory, for the furthering of linux. If the complain after that, tell em to read the user agreement, if they complain again, kick em. Just me opion though.

[quote author=Bullgooseloony link=board=18;threadid=5024;start=0#49940 date=1032367236]
    YOU Da' Man!!!
    [/quote]

ah - no i believe you are da man. and ya have a big ass vocabulary too

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=18;threadid=5024;start=0#49941 date=1032368224]
    I guess I got caught up in the flaming also. The idea has now become an instituion, so then what was the original idea...that sort of thing seems to be what has happened. I think it would be a good idea to lock all religous/politcal topics as soon as they are started. Put it in the user agreement that these are to be left outside the door, this is neutral territory, for the furthering of linux. If the complain after that, tell em to read the user agreement, if they complain again, kick em. Just me opion though.
    [/quote]

I think we should remove the "Not Linux-related, off topic", "Opinions", and "Playground" forums (and perhaps the "Unix issues" one as well since it has nothing to do with Linux and someone could potentially start a "BSD/Solaris/Darwin > Linux" flamewar in it).

We should also create a forum where people can audit trolls and remove their engrams.