Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux Mandrake's Future

Thread: Linux Mandrake's Future

Semp

Linux Mandrake's Future

I don't use Mandrake, but I have bought quite a few copies before. I also recommend this to people who are new to Linux and for workstation use. It would be sad, at least to me, if Linux Mandrake were no more :-\

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/mdkfuture.php3

JimH

Re:Linux Mandrake's Future

I don't use Mandrake either , but I don't like to see any Linux distribution go under.

Jim H

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by Semp
    I don't use Mandrake, but I have bought quite a few copies before. I also recommend this to people who are new to Linux and for workstation use. It would be sad, at least to me, if Linux Mandrake were no more :-
    You should see some of the foray that's come about since Mandrake folks also posted that 'speech' to alt.os.linux.mandrake (Subj: The Future of Mandrake Linux and other threads) the other day.

Rarely, if ever, does *anyone* from Mandrake actually read the ng, much less post. A lot of people took offence to them finally showing in a place where they've had little to zero participation only to be begging for people to toss pennies into their tin cup. It's made for some very interesting and heated discussions about everything from their management to their distrobutions.

x0xCRIZx0x

I believe Mandrake made a mistake posting that letter. I'm pretty sure that investors were wary once that showed up. One thing you should never do is sell on a negative note. And that's what Mandrake is doing, attempting to sell.

But I did feel a twinge of compassion for them, since 'drake was my very first distro and my introduction to the linux world. Also, it's utilizing the philosophy of a community supported distro, which Mandrake mostly is (I'm not sure how much they make from corporate contracts and such). Perhaps when 8.2 comes out and I hear enough good things, I will switch back (highly unlikely since SuSE 8.0 is coming soon).

i also hope that mandrake linux does not go down under, i think of it as the starting point for users who want to use linux and dont know alot, it allows you to learn slowly if you wish, although that was not for me, i like to learn at a quick pace, i would have never tried a distrobution like slack my first time around, so its good we have those "easy distro's" and harder ones for more courageous people.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)