Thread: azureus - Java Bittorrent Client!

Hybrid View

azureus - Java Bittorrent Client!

Ok, so looking for another source of bittorrentness... I got curious about some of the available clients out there and I came across this.... and I like it.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

It is a java client....

Funny, I was told about this client for the first time the other day. I figured the name was so strange that I'd never remember it, and that I'd never hear of it again.

Strange how these things come round :w00t:

heheh, 'btdownloadcurses.py Everything_on_the_net.torrent'

Associate
    I've used it to download Mandrake 10 ce and official and it worked very well for me. What I liked best was being able to control my upload speeds - something that I could no longer do with btdownload - don't know why. Anyway it's quite nice.

Azureus is a nice bittorrent client. I have used it many times and the only place I have had problems is trying to save my downloads to a FAT32 partition. It complains with some obscure error. It seems to give you more options than the btdownloadcurses.py version. Maybe that is just because of its point and click nature...
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

If you like your GUI's big, fluffy and loaded with bells and whistles, azureus rules. Otherwise, bittornado, or the other shadow's client are both much lighter weight, and just a bit zippier.

I honestly don't mind the load from java.... and it works on my linux and my windows boxes....

Then I say right on!!! I actually really dig azureus, and use it as often as I have room for another gui app running on my desktop.

New note:
    Check out the latest version of azureus, and grab the plug-ins they make available. The current version will update itself and do all sorts of other nifty things for you! In addition, it makes life really, really easy for people (like me) who run multiple distros. If you download and install the latest version into a folder and copy that folder to any other distro you have, it'll run just the same. Kinda handy if you're running a new distro and aren't sure how easily you'll be able to get bittorrent up and running, possibly from source. Just install a new distro, copy the azureus directory and "poof", torrent heaven! (You do, of course, need to have java installed...)
    I'm gonna hide this little blurb here. I've been working at a much accelerated rate on my own distro/package, and will go beta in about 2 weeks, via torrent only. I also have a really big iso collection shareable peer to peer via torrent. Private message for details.
    Dawggie