Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

KDE 3 slow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE 3 slow

KDE 3 slow

KDE 3 runs fairly slow on my athlon 1200 w/ 256 megs w/ a geforce2 MX400. its not too bad, but it is a noticably amount slower then my other WMs. is this normal or is there a way to fix it?

anyways, i love the way it looks, and it isnt too horibly slow, its still faster then windows its just, i like to have good performance off of my computer.

is there any WMs that are good that i should try besides what comes with slack 8.1 and Fluxbox?

well, if you like your WM, post your screenshot so i can decide if i like it or not please, i like performance, but i also like having my computer look pretty. espcially since its at school, and people other then myself see it.

Re:KDE 3 slow

oh..forget about puting your screenshots here..ill read the post your screenshots or whatever thread, and see those.

I suggest you try Gnome2. It's much faster than KDE.

Gnome2 is harder to configure though, but I think it's worth it.

Current desktop.

RTFPET!! ->
    http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=45

just kidding on the RTF part... that s the only way i could think of making it quicker. amy go with a minimal setup...

ursidae: thats freaking pretty!!

Try out iceWM for a nice fast WM, and XFce for a fast, lightweight desktop.

But, with the specs on your machine, I am surprised that KDE is running slow. On my 700 MHz machine KDE 3 is quite responsive. No, its not as "fast" as Windows, but that's comparing apples and oranges, as Windows ties its GUI to the kernel and no X sever or anything of that sort.

Anyway, try out several WMs and DEs and have fun.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=6;threadid=4959;start=0#49359 date=1032037823]
    ursidae: thats freaking pretty!!
    [/quote]

Thanks.

It would be even prettier if there was a gtk 1.2 gnububble theme though. Oh well, my favourite apps will eventually be ported to gtk2 I hope.

[quote author=ursidae link=board=6;threadid=4959;start=0#49349 date=1032034152]

Current desktop.
    [/quote]
    god..that looks pretty..ill have to get it

[quote author=TeRG link=board=6;threadid=4959;start=0#49388 date=1032051136]
    god..that looks pretty..ill have to get it
    [/quote]

Ahh, a convert. Gooood

There's a pretty good gnome forum here.

Current desktop.
    [/quote]

wow - what themes are you using, and where did you get it from

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=ch-b link=board=6;threadid=4959;start=0#49429 date=1032091434]

Current desktop.
    [/quote]

wow - what themes are you using, and where did you get it from
    [/quote]

I would like to know that as well. That is sweet, indeed.

terg, try going to xwinman.org, there are several wm's and de's that are more obscure, but they may scratch an itch, so to speak.

For instance, rox looks interesting. Check it out here: rox.sourceforge.net.