Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote X: bad performance

Remote X: bad performance

I was experimenting a bit with running remote X apps. This is what I did:

From my local computer at home, I set up ssh connection to remote computer (at university), and forward X connection. Then start remote X apps over that ssh line.

The problem is that the bandwidth was pretty low (about 64 kbits/s). I often connect that server with http, ftp, mail,... and I easily get connection speeds of 2 Mbits/s. Also, the ping is about 25 ms.

So, what could cause this bad performance with X? Is there some sort of benchmark I can run to see what the problem could be?

Advisor

Re:Remote X: bad performance

Every thing transfered between the two machines is encrypted on the server, send to your machine then decrypted, and shown to you.
    Even the contence of the x-app, what it should look like, etc..
    So in this matter the CPU-power of the two will have an effect aswell.

If it's browsing, then the transfere will be like:

- you click a link in the browser started from the server.
    - your machine encrypts the fact that the app should have a mouse click at possition(x,y)
    - server decrypts the possition, sends it to the x-app.
    - the x-app enterprets it to follow the link and tells the server to fetch the new page.
    - The server fetches the page, and tells the x-app to show it.
    - The x-app wants to show it, so it tells the server to encrypt the contence, and send it to you.
    - The server sends the page-contence encrypted to your machine.
    - Your machine decrypts the contence and displays it for you.

Kinda a long way for just the contence of some HTML code..

Some points:

a) ssh encryption uses DES, which is very fast and doesnt cause too much overhead.
    b) Everything you describe also happens when running local apps, so why should it suddenly be a problem?
    c) CPU power doesnt seem to be a problem, top reports 86% idle time local and 94% idle time remote.

I have really no idea what causes the slowdown.

Good Guru

Can you do it across your LAN at acceptable speeds? If not, then there is something wrong. I knw a guy that did that on a 28.8K modem all day three days a week. He telecommuted from his home in Milwaukee to San Deigo. He was the one who told me first about remote X over SSH. So, if your LAN (100Mbit or 10Mbit) is unable to handle what 28.8Kbit (notice we are talking %10 of the bandwidth) could do fine, there is another issue at hand.

Schotty: dont have a LAN, so thats not really an option

For the guy with the modem, it could be that he ran only graphics-extensive apps. I'm thinking about running intensive software, which runs faster on the server at university. I know because they also have public X terminals and there things go really fast

Anyone knows of X benchmarks? That could make some things clear.

Good Guru

Well, I am slightly confused... If you are doing a remote X session, the server will always run the app. So If you want to do work at school on your dorm/apartment/home PC, the apps that pop up on the XTerm will actually be run on your remote box. IF you are really lucky, you can find a way to get access to the schools' X Server(s) and do work from home on there. Thats a dirty way to increase your SETI/genome@home scores

Do realize the direction the most data has to flow. You may be SOL no matter wht you do - if there are alot of ethernet SWITCHES, you may be lagging your connection down to an inhumane level.

[quote author=GOP Schotty link=board=6;threadid=4957;start=0#49601 date=1032203629]
    Well, I am slightly confused... If you are doing a remote X session, the server will always run the app. So If you want to do work at school on your dorm/apartment/home PC, the apps that pop up on the XTerm will actually be run on your remote box. IF you are really lucky, you can find a way to get access to the schools' X Server(s) and do work from home on there. Thats a dirty way to increase your SETI/genome@home scores

Do realize the direction the most data has to flow. You may be SOL no matter wht you do - if there are alot of ethernet SWITCHES, you may be lagging your connection down to an inhumane level.
    [/quote]

Allright, let me see what you mean with this...
    Running apps on the remote box is what I want. I ssh -X my home computer to the remote host at school, and then run apps on the remote end, which display at home. Right?

But the question remains: why is it so slow? Its not bandwidth and its not CPU power...

Good Guru

Allright, let me see what you mean with this...
    Running apps on the remote box is what I want. I ssh -X my home computer to the remote host at school, and then run apps on the remote end, which display at home. Right?
    Exactly.

But the question remains: why is it so slow? Its not bandwidth and its not CPU power...
    You may very well have a bandwidth issue. Recall, that ethernet switches add latency to the TCP/IP connection to add security (main benefit is that nobody can sniff you). Add the fact that they may throttle connections at a router or server for certain things. UW Milwaukee did such things, and may very well do the same thing today. Local students get priority over remote students. Now, wat I would reccomend is this -- assuming you are not in a dorm -- goto a friends' dormroom and see if your exact setup works speedily or not. You may just have a slow NIC, crappy driver for your NIC, or even a shitty CAT5 cable (you are using CAT5 UTP, not CAT3, right?). Also, you may just ned a few tweaks on your TCP/IP stack. I found a good article on that from RedHat/IBM. Lemme dig that up and post it. try that first. It does require a kernel recompile however.

Allright, but other apps (such as ftp), to the same server, also forwarded over ssh, usually get about 2Mbits/s. Which is a bandwidth I can very well live with. And latency? Average ping = 25ms

Good Guru

Hmmm....

Well, what happens if a buddy at the dorm does the same thing? Can he get appropriate speeds? If not, I still would be apt to believe that the routing equipment is still a possible blame. But since its not your connection in general, you may have a crappy remote X server connection. Do a tcdump on your connection and see what it says. You may be retransmitting alot of data, hence sowing the connections' overall speed.