Thread: windows 2000, telnet, linux, and ntlm

windows 2000, telnet, linux, and ntlm

hey i have 2 boxes, one that's always linux, and another that i dual-boot to linux/win2k. here's my issue. sometimes i forget to boot my win2k box into linux before i leave for school. and say that i forgot some homework. well, it's on my win2k box.

so, i can ssh into the linux box, but then i want to telnet to the win2k box, but it won't let me. something about ntlm authentication. i assume there is a workaround for this, i'm just not sure how. it's either a deamon i need to run or just get a new telnet client?

yea i'm not sure what to do. lemme know what you guys think

Re:windows 2000, telnet, linux, and ntlm

I'm going to assume that ntlm is NT lan manager, or something like that, which, if I am remembering correctly, is the default authentication scheme for Win9X, ME and possibly NT (I'm forgetting this stuff now as I type). It seems that your telnet login is trying to authenticate you to windows (a SAM database maybe? I don't know what Win2k standalone uses) and is failing for some reason. I've never set up telnet on NT or Win2k, so I don't know what type of authentication it is looking for or what type of local accounts you need. I would poke around M$'s technet sight for a while, you will probably find some type of answer there.

hrrrrrmmmm
    thanks, i'll do that. i'll let you know what happens.

though, if i start poking around M$ and even mention that evil L word, my post will prolly be automatically be censored. but maybe something about this may turn up.

Good Guru

I don't believe you can telnet into Win2K box unless you are running Win2K server and terminal software ( I think it's called Advanced Windows 2000 Terminal server ).

I checked this and Win2k pro will not let you run Terminal sessions but Win2K server will with add-on software.

Another solution will be to mount a central data storage and get your info from there either running SAMBA or via Apache webserver.

I used to have one box dual boot and both Win2K and Debian is set up to run Apache and get the document from central directory serving all the pages. So no matter which OS I was running at any given time, I would be able to download it via a browser.

HTH ...

sounds like a plan. i'll see which one i end up doing.

hey i got it. i feel stupid. it was something i should have checked earlier.
    all i had to do was go to telnet server admin and tell it not to use NTLM.