Thread: Poor video performance

Mentor

Poor video performance

I installed Linux on a Toshiba laptop. Everything seems to work fine, except for the video card. It has a Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XPAi1 video card and I'm using the trident driver with it. I can set up any resolution, color depth just fine, but when something is moving on the screen (let's say I'm scrolling up and down a web page or moving a window around the desktop) it appears that it is very slow to refresh the screen, it's like the page or window is moving in waves ( I don't know how to better describe it). I don't get this problem when booting into Win2K on the same laptop.

What might be causing this?

Re:Poor video performance

Sounds to me like you dont have something setup correctly in the xf86config file, such as the monitor type (whether or not its an active matrix or whatever). Other than that, dont know man.

i used to have that problem and fixed by switching video cards (i have 2 in here now ;D) but that doesn't really help you out.

I think it's just how optimized the driver is for your hardware, maybe in XF86Config it's set to have less ram than it really does?

good luck

[quote author=gorn link=board=6;threadid=4925;start=0#49142 date=1031866795]
    i used to have that problem and fixed by switching video cards (i have 2 in here now ;D) but that doesn't really help you out.

I think it's just how optimized the driver is for your hardware, maybe in XF86Config it's set to have less ram than it really does?

good luck
    [/quote]

kinda hard to change the videocard on a laptop...