Thread: Crontab not working

Crontab not working

Hey everyone... I'm thinking about being in Linux more often, so I wanted to start G@H up automagically on bootup. But when I followed the PET for crontab usage... nothing seemes to run... Can someone please help me. I don't even know what info you need from me, if any.

Thanx in advance

Re:Crontab not working

hello,
    can you please post the crontab entry?

One item I have noticed witg g@h is that if a work unit gets stuck it will cause the program to exit, the way to fix this is run a ghxclient.x -clear in the ghxclient directory.

Sure no problem... One quick question too, is it a space that is in between the 0 * * * * thing or is that supposed to be tabs?

[root@izanseth mcdougrs]# crontab -l
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
    # (/tmp/crontab.1533 installed on Wed Sep 11 08:40:58 2002)
    # (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp $)
    0 * * * * cd /usr/ghclient099_linux/; ./ghclient.x -nice 19 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
    [root@izanseth mcdougrs]#
    Oh and when I tried to do that with my normal user it told me that I had no crontab for that user, huh? Does that just mean that, that particular user has no crontab entries?

OK this is just plain wierd... Now G@H is running!! What the heck... I didn't touch anything... how long can it take for crontab entries to start if you use the 0 * * * * entry?

hello,
    that would be a space. and any entry with 0**** would start off at the top of the hour, i.e. when the computer clock said n:00.00

Ok... well that isn't exactly what I want :-\ But there was talk about using init in one of my old threads but they never said where to put the files, all of the code is there.
    Click here
    for the old autostarting g@h thread. The stuff about init usage sounds like what I want to use but where does everything go?

Sorry but I was wondering if I might be able to get help with the init solution for starting g@h. I used a crontab solution suggested to me on another thread and it tries to start g2h every hour and I have to wait until XX:00 xx for it to start up. But my problem lies in the fact that I don't know anything about init. Please help... my post above this one has a link to the original thread where these things happened.

Advisor

In the old thread, if the things you dont know where it goes, if thats this post you're refering to, then the first code bit from schotty, goes into your /etc/inittab file, and the last part (the GAH code) is the /gah/ghc1/init file mentioned in the first part. Remember to have this executable, ie: chmod +x /gah/ghc1/init

The part I mention in this post, is if you want the GAH to be run as a different user than root, then use this as the code in the /gah/ghc1/init file.

Apparently Schotty is running two copies of GAH, if you only want one, then just use the 11:2345nce:/gah/ghc1/init >/dev/tty11 line in your /etc/inittab file. (Bare in mind, this requires your GAH is placed in /gah/ghc1, if not, then change all the path dependent things in these advices.. (is advices even a word.. ? )

Hope this clarifys things..

Advisor

Just thought about it, if you are planing to be running it from crontab, and dont want it shown, on your tty11 (<ctrl><alt><F11&gt then use the word reboot in the crontab line ie:
    Code:
    @reboot cd /usr/ghclient099_linux/; ./ghclient.x -nice 19 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
    this will only perform the execution line when crontab is beeing started, ie when your system boots. And it will not be tried run every hour.

The reason why pbharris want to run it every hour, is if the current running GAH should get an illformed work-unit, then it will terminate, and the crontab starting it every hour will make sure it will be up and running again within the hour, if such a termination should have been encountered.

GAH in itself will terminate the executed copy, if it detects an allready running copy.

Good Guru

Yeah, it took me a few minutes to get it all figured out, but twas simple enough in the end. Basicall make a script to start the app you wanna run. add that script to start up in your inittab. If you need assistance, I can detail it further.