Thread: run windows apps

run windows apps

hi,
    is it possible to run windows apps on linux redhat?
    thanks

Re:run windows apps

hello,
    yes, many MS windows apps can be run under X windows. Odds are there is an equivilent Linux app which would be easier to install (except for games), anyway what you want is wine -> http://www.winehq.com/

and oh yea! welcome to linux junior

It is also possible to run most windoze apps under most Linux distros using VMWare or Win4Lin.

I have used Win4Lin http://www.netraverse.com to run my web design editor because there isn't a good one (yet) for Linux. Quanta is the closest I can find, and it simply isn't there (yet)

Win4Lin runs beautifully under RH 7.2 and really solves the problem, until I can find, or is made a decent editor that will run natively.

Neither help me in my goal to get M$-free, as Win4Lin still requires a licensed win 95/98 that it can run under the linux kernel.

hth,

Ken

is Win4Lin like VMWare?
    ie. you need to install a virtual OS ?

I don't know about Win4Lin, but most Linux Win Emulators do not require an OS to run Win apps. VMWare is just mainly for clients in a client/server system so that it can be easily recognized and run some minimal Win business type software. There are all sorts of emulators for running the Win Office Suites, and emu's for running WIn games without an OS. (Well, besides Linux :P )

Win4Lin install actually installs (your own copy of) win95 or 98 in a directory, and it then uses what looks like a win95 or 98 screen to run whatever apps you also load, , while still UNDER Linux.

There is a 30 day free trial .... give it a try. (at least I think the trial is still available). http://www.netraverse.com

I couldn't get VMWare to behave, but Win4Lin has been a very well behaved app.

Good Guru

Oddly enough, Pantheus, I had it the reverse way. VMWare did much better than Win4Lin. I reccommend trying Wine before going the VM route. VMs hog much more resources than wine. And as of right now, neither VM does DirectX properly.

Mentor

with a little effort wine will work great with most apps. I had it installed and running really well. I found that the best way to do it, was do it without windows, ie use all the dll's it comes with, and then if it needed others get them off the net. I had directx 8 games running sweet as, and I used a few apps that I have to for my courses. Everything went sweet as. The website has heaps of info on it, and I would recommend using CVS, the instructions are clear, and I found I had more luck with it than I did with the stable versions.

Good Guru

[quote author=Pantheus link=board=1;threadid=4888;start=0#49169 date=1031902870]
    I have used Win4Lin http://www.netraverse.com to run my web design editor because there isn't a good one (yet) for Linux. Quanta is the closest I can find, and it simply isn't there (yet)
    [/quote]
    Well, may be you want to check out IBM's WebSphere Home page builder. Although it's not a Linux native application, it is well configured under Wine and I like it better than many commercial web page builders.

Compunuts...

I looked (briefly) at WebSphere, but only got as far as seeing that it
    1) didn't run natively, and
    2) was a WYSIWYG

After seeing the pure crap that WYSIWYG's have called code (ala Front Page) I took a pass on it.

I have for a hundred years , actually over 6, used HotDog Pro. I started with version 2.53 and now using 6.6.

While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that DreamWeaver has, I am very comfortable with how to make the sucker automate what I do. It does not write one line of code, but simplifies some of the routine, mundane tasks.

I have been in touch with the authors and management and think a full port to Linux is in the cards for the next release...

I guess it is what one gets used to.. 8)

Thanks for the thoughts...

Ken