Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Peanut Linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Linux

Peanut Linux

anyone installed Peanut Linux? It looks like a good candidate for the minimalist install I am planning. anyone have good/bad experiences? I'm downloading the ISO now...

Mentor
    Gruntled, Whats the Peanut based on? I have had so much luck with Knoppix that I may keep it around for a looooooong time. I will have some room for testing other stuff soon, Peanut sounds like a candidate. Keep us informed, the good, bad and ugly!!

Fatal Error, Peanut is slackware-based, and pre-configured as a full desktop distro with Enlightenment and an array of apps ready. It has a small footprint, and looks to be ideal for making use of older hardware. I won't be able to tinker with it until the middle of the week, but i've got the ISO burned and ready to roll.

I saw a review where someone said that they were so happy to be able to just "install and go," no fidgeting with browser plugins to get them to work, etc.

check it out at http://www.ibiblio.org/peanut/

John,

9.6 won't install on my AMD k6-2 450 box.

Its compiled for i686 and not i586.

I agree with Fatal Error, Knoppix is great! All the stability of Debian to boot!
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Hey, all. I spent some time tinkering with Peanut-9.6 a little while ago, probably starting on its release date, in fact, and I can tell you a few things about it.
    I don't think it's slackware-based, since peanut supplies all its' add-on packages as rpms. It uses the latest version of Enlightenment, and has a really amusing theme. The system configuration out of the box is awesome, just way above the average distro. In fact, if it includes what you need, and you're comfortable with the enlightenment interface model, you could probably run this one until they release a new version without touching a single package! That brings me to the one drawback I found with Peanut. There is no system, at all, for package management. Peanut provides rpms, but no suitable installation tools. Yes, I know we can install them from the command line. Since neither KDE nor Gnome is included, have fun if you want to install one of those from the rpm commandline! You also don't have a toolchain for compiling on the system, and have to download that as a single package to compile from source. There are also a couple of bugs. In several test installs, I found that Peanut only found a partition if it was freshly created by deleting the old one and re-creating it. I don't know why, but after the first failure, I replicated it several times, and that was the only thing that stopped an install. The other bug has to do with eppletts. Lots and lots of eppletts. The desktop starts with about 8 or nine of them open. Maybe too much, but who knows? Trouble is, the damn things multiply! Once you've restarted x a time or two, there are suddenly 2,3 or more instances of each epplett running! You can turn 'em off, but it definitely causes a little clutter. Otherwise, nice distro.

I tried it out on a k6-2/400 and a k6-2/450 with the same results. You were right, Mark. I'm back to the drawing board on what to put on these two machines to squeeze some life out of them. :[

Slower boxes love Feather Linux!
    I'd check that out, and grab the add-ons that team provides. Feather is Debian-based, so you can upgrade via apt!

Feather is neat, but after trying both, I'm leaning toward Slax. I'm reading up a little, and thinking of "rolling my own" live Linux ISO, just replacing some defaulted apps. I'm not looking to stay within the confines of a mini-cd, but if it ends up staying that small, all the better!

What primary apps would you put on a live cd if you were creating one today?

Mentor
    Gruntled, If you do a Debian based distro I sure would like to try it. Hey, I'll even try Slack or others I guess, I have lots of undeveloped real estate on my HD