Thread: Suse question!

Suse question!

Well I read somewhere that Suse was the easiest Linux for newbie’s to get used to, and it can install next to a currently installed version of Windows XP. I have tried out the LiveCD for 9.1 and was impressed, however I noticed that it does not install a few of the drivers associated with my motherboard (Biostar M7VIT Pro). I am worried that the install will not install all of the drivers, and I am worried about switching to a different version of Linux later on and not receiving adequate driver support...

I will be trying to install the personal edition of 9.1 in a few hours and I want to know, both for now and the future where is a good resource for Linux drivers???

Re: Suse question!

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac
    ... I want to know, both for now and the future where is a good resource for Linux drivers???
    You may want to try the web site of the hardware maker first. Other than that, I don't know.
    Steve

So if the manufacturer doesn’t have Linux support you are just SOL? I also have a linksys card that is rendered useless ...

Not necessairly.

If you know what kind of chipset it uses, chances are good that there is support for it. :cow:

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac
    So if the manufacturer doesn’t have Linux support you are just SOL? I also have a linksys card that is rendered useless ...
    Absolutely not!!! the kernel is the greatest source for linux drivers, the vanill-kernel (http://www.kernel.org) has a ton of drivers already to be built. Other wise, Google is a great tool, for anything, as well as drivers. The hard part is finding out what drivers you really need.

run a 'cat /proc/pci' and see what your looking for, then let us know and we can try to help you find it.

I've had little problems with SuSE, still using it half a year later . I'm a newbie, and i've only had the problem with my sound card, and I emailed SuSE and got the help I needed. :w00t:

Just out of curiosity...what problems did you have with your sound?

I can't get any sound out of my card even though everything seems set up OK.

If you had a similar problem, I'd love to know the solution.

Associate

I have been using SuSE since 8.0 and have never had a problem that wasn't solvable. The install with YASt in SuSE has come along way since then also. I currently use 9.1 Pro and the install went flawlessly. I was up and running in about 15 minutes. Now keep in mind that I pretty much knew all the hardware specs and was able to quickly make the correct decisions in YAST to configure all my hardware. A bit of knowledge on all your hardware will go a long way with preventing problems

Derrick

Yeah SUSE is a pretty good Distro. I also had problems with my sound, and I have tried two different sound cards, both based on different chipsets. I got the dvd set from novell when they were shipping it for free, and there is so many programs on that little dvd. You'll hardly want anything else, except the ability to play dvd movies...
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+