Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

For those who use BeOS...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who use BeOS...

For those who use BeOS...

Ok, I've installed the Developer Edition 5.0.4, but now I need some suggestions of what to do next. I've searched over BeBits.com but there are millions of apps there, So I need a suggestion of some of the best apps that are essential downloads...

Re:For those who use BeOS...

hmm i used beos 2 years ago but i would install the new tracker cause its now open source and so there is a better version out for sure ..

Advisor

gfunkmonk, what do you think of beos? I think i am going to start downloading it tonight and with a little luck it should be done tomorrow. I want to try it but have a couple of questions. Did you use the bootable CD method of installing? Did you put beos on a separate partition? is fat32 the only filesystem beos can use? is beos unix based? please let me know if you know the answer to any of these questions.

Yes I like BeOS. Its pretty nice, you just have to remeber that its no longer being activley maintained so some apps are a little dated. I made a bootable CD, but it wouldn't boot on my system, so I have to do something like, dd if=beos_main.img of=/dev/hdb1, then boot off that disk then install from it to a new partition. BeOS doesn't use FAT32, it has its own Filesystem BFS. and yes, BeOS is unix based.

Advisor

Excellent! and does the installer have some sort of partitioning program build in or do I need to set up a BFS partition first? I currently use partition magic 7 for partitioning but don't believe it supports BFS so i'm just wondering.

I've been curious about BeOS for a while now... can someone give me a link or something to download it? and what hardware does it run on?

Just do a search for Beos on google or something like that. As for what it runs on, just about anything. Only takes a couple of minutes to install and is a real time os.
    10Ded

Advisor

[quote author=10Dedfish link=board=10;threadid=4884;start=0#61189 date=1046688590]
    As for what it runs on, just about anything.
    [/quote]

runs maybe, but not always well. I could never get my rage128 graphics card to do any better than 640x480 greyscale. That's the main reason BeOS didn't last long on my box.

Yeah I tried it too and was not able to get my network card to work. Too bad, it seemed like a pretty cool OS. Maybe if I was inspired I could have gone out and obtained a new card . . . .maybe I still will.

There is also a Open BeOS project underway. Check it out here:

http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/proj.php

I thought BeOS was just POSIX compliant not UNIX based. ???