Thread: aRts again

aRts again

Well, I figured out how to disable aRts with some apps by adding "artsdsp" infront of the command. Now, if I try with WineX, I can't get sound without disabling it. On my SuSE box, I can disable it, and still get sound from KDE. How can I aviod this conflict without having to disable aRts every time I want to use apps that won't take the 'artsdsp' command?

Re:aRts again

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=2;threadid=4882;start=0#48639 date=1031374295]
    Well, I figured out how to disable aRts with some apps by adding "artsdsp" infront of the command.
    [/quote]
    that actually does the opposite. if u use artsdsp then the sound of the app u use it on will be played through arts

Now, if I try with WineX, I can't get sound without disabling it. On my SuSE box, I can disable it, and still get sound from KDE. How can I aviod this conflict without having to disable aRts every time I want to use apps that won't take the 'artsdsp' command?
    well if u use more apps that don't work with arts than apps that do work with it u could just disable arts from getting started automically: kcontrol => sound => sound server => disable "Start Arts soundserver on KDE startup"

this way it doesn't get started, and if some kde program needs arts it will start it himself.

of course then u still have the problem of possibly having arts running when u wanna do something that doesn't work through arts but that's nothing a simple "killall artsd" won't fix