Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Debian cd's: 3 or 8?

Thread: Debian cd's: 3 or 8?

Hybrid View

Debian cd's: 3 or 8?

Should I buy all 8 or do I only need the first 3 if I only want X. I don't want KDE or Gnome, I use Fluxbox. What is on the last 5 CD's? What is on the first 3?

Good Guru

Re:Debian cd's: 3 or 8?

If I am not mistaken, the other 5 cds (possibly 7) are all apps. The first cd I thought had the OS, the rest had apps and such on them. But if you only need cli, then go for the 3 cd set.

I would like to have X installed automatically. I can install flux from there. While we're on the subject, does apt compile the requested apps from source like Gentoo does? I *don't* like that (yes I know about the -usepkg -- don't go there).

[quote author=MikeT link=board=7;threadid=4880;start=0#48606 date=1031347113]
    While we're on the subject, does apt compile the requested apps from source like Gentoo does? I *don't* like that (yes I know about the -usepkg -- don't go there).
    [/quote]

No it doesn't, but I think apt *can* compile packages from source.

I just installed Woody on another machine last night. I installed the base, XFree86, KDE, Mozilla, and some other popular apps but only installed kernel-2.2.20(because of problems with my SCSI card and kernel-2.4.18). Of everything I installed, I only had to have apt download about 30MB; most of which were updates to KDE.
    I'd say you should be fine with CD1 and maybe CDs 2 and 3. If you want kernel-2.4.18, you'll either need CD5 or have apt download it for you. I believe it's about a 20MB download.