Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GLO Ideas

GLO Ideas

Right, so GLO is staying open for a while longer.
    WOOHOO!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Now, is there anything we can do to help keep the site going well?
    I suggest that we post ideas here and we can throw them at Aragorn some time and see what he thinks of them.

My ideas:
    A dedicated Tid-Bits (or similar named) board on the forum
    where someone can quickly post something cool that they found, without having to go thru the whole process of writing an OMP and submitting it

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Re:GLO Ideas

Hey that was My idea, i should have my that little tm at teh end or something, you snake in the grass!! ;D

but its such a great idea!
    would you like the credit?

lol, well just so long as it is kept up for greater good i wouldn't mind, it would be nice to see other people give it a shot too :P

i also have an idea for glo, it may be a bit tough to pull together though. personally, i do most of my "GLOing" in the forums. Maybe we can have a special section that has things like tidbits and especially OMPs. this may help OMPs get seen more. also, it makes for a very quick reference when someone asks a very common question. it may also help the OMPs stay updated by their authors, since they will be right under their noses. i am picturing like a section called linux library or something. another thing is that i think i would be nice to make it alphabetical, instead of chronological, for ease of search. i even find it difficult to find old posts sometimes here since teh other boards tend to get very specific with problems. it could be a place to start with a problem, then branch off into the other forums for more specific issues like customizations and stuff. just a thought though 8)

Quote Originally Posted by babbing
    i also have an idea for glo, it may be a bit tough to pull together though. personally, i do most of my "GLOing" in the forums. Maybe we can have a special section that has things like tidbits and especially OMPs. this may help OMPs get seen more. also, it makes for a very quick reference when someone asks a very common question. it may also help the OMPs stay updated by their authors, since they will be right under their noses. i am picturing like a section called linux library or something. another thing is that i think i would be nice to make it alphabetical, instead of chronological, for ease of search. i even find it difficult to find old posts sometimes here since teh other boards tend to get very specific with problems. it could be a place to start with a problem, then branch off into the other forums for more specific issues like customizations and stuff. just a thought though 8)
    Yeah, almost like making the forum the main part of the site, with everything else extra, not vice-versa

i think it would just be nice to have an index right on hand in the forums, so that more specific questions can be answered in the more specific forums. We could have an alphabetical lsit of Stuff that has been done here and if that doesn't help, or if there are still questions, then we can all learn from it and then add it to our manuals. :P it may be a bit idealic, but who knows.

You need to be more specific on what your trying to achieve here, I am not quite understanding. If you are wanting what I think you are, my PHP skills are quite lacking for what I think you are wanting :-\

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Here is My thought exactly:

1. a forum named, Index or library or alphabetical manuals or something to that effect

2. We then just have the OMPs and Tidbits or other useful facts placed there _in alphabetical order_ for search purposes.

3. as spot recommended, we have the admins add the new entries there, for control purposes.

i believe in order for it to be effective, it should be alphabetical. This kind of a forum can save many people a lot of time since they can just browse thru it quickly for, o say, dual boot lilo or something.

4. Then people could come over to the forums with specific questions about the library entries. Chances are that that forum will be a bit generel and someone will want to know how to do something in a different distro. in that case they could, for example, bring it to the SuSe forum. In the end, i believe that it will help people ask informed and researched questions so that the people who answer don't get frustrated, and chance a flaming :P . lemme know if there is something that i am specifically, though unintentionally, leaving out :P

Goodluck,

Babbing

Quote Originally Posted by babbing
    Here is My thought exactly:

1. a forum named, Index or library or alphabetical manuals or something to that effect

2. We then just have the OMPs and Tidbits or other useful facts placed there _in alphabetical order_ for search purposes.

3. as spot recommended, we have the admins add the new entries there, for control purposes.
    A moderated Forum whould probally do the job, so we can still have the freedom and ease of posting, but it only gows up if the admins aggree on it

i believe in order for it to be effective, it should be alphabetical. This kind of a forum can save many people a lot of time since they can just browse thru it quickly for, o say, dual boot lilo or something.
    Can the forum sort by alphabet, not date??

Alastair