Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Grub configuration
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grub configuration

Grub configuration

I was trying to set up Grub. I downloaded the source for 0.91, applied the boot splash patch, and installed it. It went flawlessly. Then I went to the PET's page to look up the GRUB pet. I realize that it says there that, after installing Grub, I should have a /boot/grub directory. But no directory appeared.
    I haven't tried to run grub yet, since I don't know how it will work without this folder. There seems to be no menu.lst or grub.conf either. Any ideas?
    This is my lilo.conf:

# LILO configuration file
    append="hdc=ide-scsi"
    boot = /dev/hda
    message = /boot/boot_message.txt
    prompt
    timeout = 1200
    change-rules
    reset
    # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
    vga = 773
    # DOS bootable partition config begins
    other = /dev/hda1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/hda
    # DOS bootable partition config ends
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda4
    label = Linux
    read-only
    # Linux bootable partition config ends
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20pre5
    root = /dev/hda4
    label = Slackware
    read-only
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

Re:Grub configuration

hey trickster,
    what distro is this?

Slackware 8.1

ah - okay, well for *you* i would make a directory in /etc/ and call it grub, then make the grub.conf file in /etc/grub and try to make it like the config in the PET.

I am assuming you grabbed off the source - or is there a slack package for grub?

No, I used the source. Should the grub.conf be the only file there?

Hi Trickster,
    Okay - If you don't have it then please go get it - it is check install - is is easy to use and makes life much easier when a little mistake is made, and it makes nice slackware packages too.

after you have checkinstall, or if you decided to he** with pbharris, i don't need no stinking checkinstall then run make install tehre is an isntall scrpit, for the source it defaults to installing here:
    /usr/local/sbin/grub-install - try running it as root and you should be on your merry way.

btw - here is pretty close to what i would make your grub.conf look like, you wopuld need to create the initrd images:

Code:
    timeout=60  
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Linux
    root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda4 hdc=ide-scsi 
    initrd /boot/initrd.img

title slackware
    root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20pre5 ro root=/dev/hda4 hdc=ide-scsi 
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20.img

title windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    i am not sure of what i would put in for the vga stuff....

you have to manually create the /boot/grub directory and copy stage1 and stage2 files there, the create the /boot/grub/menu.lst file as pbHarris said.

Another good tutorial on installing grub is
    http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/grub-howto.txt

Where do I get the stage1 and stage2 files? and how do I make the initrd images?
    I have somewhere the link on the vga stuff.

hey trickster - when you do the make install the files are put in the following directories:

Code:
    /usr/doc/grub-0.92/AUTHORS
    /usr/doc/grub-0.92/BUGS
    /usr/doc/grub-0.92/COPYING
    /usr/doc/grub-0.92/ChangeLog
    /usr/doc/grub-0.92/INSTALL
    /usr/doc/grub-0.92/NEWS
    /usr/doc/grub-0.92/README
    /usr/doc/grub-0.92/THANKS
    /usr/doc/grub-0.92/TODO
    /usr/local/bin/mbchk
    /usr/local/info/dir
    /usr/local/info/grub.info
    /usr/local/info/grub.info-1
    /usr/local/info/grub.info-2
    /usr/local/info/grub.info-3
    /usr/local/info/multiboot.info
    /usr/local/man/man1/mbchk.1
    /usr/local/man/man8/grub-install.8
    /usr/local/man/man8/grub-md5-crypt.8
    /usr/local/man/man8/grub.8
    /usr/local/sbin/grub
    /usr/local/sbin/grub-install
    /usr/local/sbin/grub-md5-crypt
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/e2fs_stage1_5
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/fat_stage1_5
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/ffs_stage1_5
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/jfs_stage1_5
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/minix_stage1_5
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/reiserfs_stage1_5
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/stage1
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/stage2
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/vstafs_stage1_5
    /usr/local/share/grub/i386-pc/xfs_stage1_5

Ok, I got it installed. the grub-setup did not worked, but I ran grub, then did root (hd0,3), then install, and it worked fine. However, I did not got the vga patch to work. I found some documentation on it, though. I'm going to play with it a bit more, and will post how to do it if I get it working.